Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1.5 tb hard drives

How long untill 1.5 TB HD are available? Will there be performance gains? will they run more quietly or more power efficient?

Cheers,
    T

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    v0thanhtam's Avatar Mr. & Mrs. Vő
    Time will tell....

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    At a guess? Within 6 months. No way of knowing about power or noise, however it's almost a given that they will be at least marginally faster.

Not sure how much you know about HD's, but generally speaking larger HDs, have larger platter sizes. So there's more information in less space. This means the heads of the hard drive dont' have to go as far to seek certain sectors, resulting in better performance.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelucifer View Post
    Not sure how much you know about HD's, but generally speaking larger HDs, have larger platter sizes. So there's more information in less space. This means the heads of the hard drive dont' have to go as far to seek certain sectors, resulting in better performance.
    I don't think this is quite right.

Physical size of the platter doesn't change.
    To increase the capacity of a drive either the data density has to grow (i.e., implement perpendicular recording, for instance) or another platter is added- or both.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmo85
    How long untill 1.5 TB HD are available? Will there be performance gains? will they run more quietly or more power efficient?
    Current HDDs are dinosaurs and investing in large capacity units seems like a bad idea to me.
    Solid state drives are going to become the norm- sooner rather than later- and run silently while using less power and generating less heat.

A side benefit to the commercialization of SSDs will be the elimination of optical drives as well.
    We've seen the continuous increase in capacity- coupled with a corresponding drop in price- of thumb drives, to the point where it will soon be economically feasible to provide content (both software and media) on a USB drive rather than a disk.
    This couples with the ability of new operating systems (i.e., Vista) to boot from a flash drive, thus, no disks needed.

This should lead to a fairly radical change in the appearance of desktop PCs.
    If you look at the design of cases, one of the major parameters is that it's necessary to accommodate the size of an optical drive, both it's width and depth. To a slightly lesser degree, this is also true of mechanical HDDs.
    Remove these two units from the picture and now the case need only be large enough to fit the motherboard and power supply and all you need to interface with the PC is access to a USB port.

Should be interesting.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    wow, after clocker's bladerunner predictions i got all excited. i saw that sumsung has made 64gb ss drives. pretty damn cool.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by lee551 View Post
    wow, after clocker's bladerunner predictions i got all excited. i saw that sumsung has made 64gb ss drives. pretty damn cool.
    Pshaw, that's nuttin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    at CES 2008, BiTMICRO Networks announced the release of SSD drives with capacities of up to 832GB, for release in Q3 2008.
    Now, granted these will no doubt be brutally expensive but there's no reason this technology won't follow the normal trend and get bigger at the same time it gets cheaper.

Hell, think back to only five years ago when SATA was exotic and 120GB drives were huge.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    very nice. hopefully in 5 more years i can order a tb ssd off newegg for 100 bones.

and to the OP: you can get a 1tb sata drive on newegg for $250-350. reviews seem to be so-so though.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    I don't see an economical solid state HD anytime in the near future.
    It'd be great if there was. From my understanding with a solid state hard drive the need to have RAM is eliminated, because basically the entire HD is RAM. This isn't practiced, this would be under a new ideal platform.

But for the foreseeable future,
    I think it will be much cheaper to buy a few gigs of RAM with traditional HD technology.

I see 2TB hard drives within the next year.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    DKre8ive1's Avatar L0st N S0und BT Rep: +2
    I wonder how much space you would lose on a 2TB drive well you don't really lose anything, but by the way they label drives it does feel like you lose some space.

My guess is 160gigs but I am not sure tbh and this makes me wonder if they will ever change there labeling process, since that would seem like a big difference to a person that is not computer savvy and probably end up pissing off the customer.

Disgruntled customer = bad for business.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    DKre8ive1's Avatar L0st N S0und BT Rep: +2
    Doh! double post sorry.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast