Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: about life and the twists and turns...

Poster
    Hey there ;-)

Yes, well, you know that I wouldn't have jumped right on that unless I was most confident in my possessing the right equipment to do so with.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by angryghost View Post
    Learning the hard was is always the better way tho, it builds character in a person, which you will never be able to get from reading about things and just "developing" understanding. Every experience you go through good or bad makes up to the person you are today.
    As a practical matter, you might want to distinguish between different types of experiences...for example, I wouldn't get married and divorced in order to have experienced that particular pleasure.

I wouldn't get fired from a job in order to build character.

I know a few worthwhile people (whose integrity I would regard as beyond question) who've hewed to the righteous path because they live with their eyes wide open, taking lessons from the world they inhabit.

Having had some rough sledding myself, I've come to admire that method over the other.

On the other hand anyone who lives life without catching on to the facts is a fool.

I knew several times several of those types as well.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    angryghost's Avatar Get In Ma BELLY! BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    As a practical matter, you might want to distinguish between different types of experiences...for example, I wouldn't get married and divorced in order to have experienced that particular pleasure.

Yes i didn't mean those. Sure they also change you, but i meant the in depth personal experiences like growing up poor, going through a loved ones death, or serious sickness. Hardships that really take an impact into you and make you really consider and reflect on your view in life and the way you lead it.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by angryghost View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Yes i didn't mean those. Sure they also change you, but i meant the in depth personal experiences like growing up poor, going through a loved ones death, or serious sickness. Hardships that really take an impact into you and make you really consider and reflect on your view in life and the way you lead it.
    Well, certainly those are significant character-forming circumstances, but when you said "Learning the hard was is always the better way", you gave the impression you were speaking of factors one could alter by choice.

For instance, I would agree that growing up in poverty can be a character-building experience, but there is no way to guarantee this.

On the other hand, if a person lacking character is introduced to a life of privation, bitterness and resentment is the only likely result.

Suffice it to say, we are all products of our milieu, and positive influences are where you find them.

The inclination to act positively thereby can come from anywhere.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by stitched View Post
    is there any forum where people talk about their life's experiences and differnt things life taught them....i mean i am 23 and i have learnt quiet a bit from life...next time i learn something i hope i would rather read about it and learn rather then personally go thru that experience.
    Did you drop your ice cream in the sand box or something?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stitched View Post
    is there any forum where people talk about their life's experiences and differnt things life taught them....i mean i am 23 and i have learnt quiet a bit from life...next time i learn something i hope i would rather read about it and learn rather then personally go thru that experience.
    Did you drop your ice cream in the sand box or something?
    Oooooh.

Kinda har5h.

Well done.

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12