Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideal # of Torrent to Seed

Hey guys, I was just wondering if there was an ideal number of torrents one should be seeding. For example if you had 1000 torrents being seeded at on time would the overhead traffic/packets overwhelm the client an negated the whole purpose of seeding. As opposed to seeding 100 torrents were the overhead packet volume isn't that great.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    bornwithnoname's Avatar Bit Master BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by fakiefakes View Post
    Hey guys, I was just wondering if there was an ideal number of torrents one should be seeding. For example if you had 1000 torrents being seeded at on time would the overhead traffic/packets overwhelm the client an negated the whole purpose of seeding. As opposed to seeding 100 torrents were the overhead packet volume isn't that great.
    I doubt it would overwhem the client, but there is a limit to your bandwidth.

I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it. (Terry Prattchet)

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Zaxx's Avatar Ol' Skool P2P BT Rep: +3
    Your question can not be answered (specifically) unless you specify the available bw.
    "It's not what ya got, it's what you give."
    Please do not PM me for invites. Thx.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Cheffy's Avatar Slut up ! BT Rep: +4
    It is possible to seed 1000 torrents and only have 10 of them active, and make the torrent upen up for more torrents if you use less than 90% of your total BW.

Really no point in seeding 50+ torrents (on a regualr homeconnection)
    It will only let each user get like under 5kB/s from you.
    My e-penis is so big it makes John Holmes look like a little boy.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    i'm seeing 100 between only 2 trackers right now on 1mbit...it's all about bonus points!

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Yea, I guess my question was more gear towards the bittorrent application itself. I didn't mean you'd be seeding 1000 torrent, just that they were open for uploading. My concern was, for example, if had a 1000 torrents started and they're all checking back with the tracker and communicating with other peers all that traffic would stifle my ability to upload to peers that need data. Last I checked my speed was Down:3850 kbps & Up:512.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    but what is the point of seeding that many torrents if not for bonus points? don't think anyone has tried it because there's no point, so we don't know if clients can handle it

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Bucktoof's Avatar Byaaah! BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    I would choose 1, just because you want to allow for the information to get out as fast as possible. Bonus points can increase seeding, but of course people abuse it. If you're seeding 50 torrents with a 2mb adsl line, you're seeding individual torrents at only a couple kb/s, making the people who are dling wait even longer
    http://4t.myminicity.com/ind - build industry!
    http://4t.myminicity.com/tra - build transportation
    http://4t.myminicity.com/sec - build security

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    @koolyt - thanks for the info that what I was looking for.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Torn's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +5
    You can keep 100+ seeding but only a certain few will be active.

The more you have seeding the better. As soon as one file is done uploading, another, which was inactive, can start right up.

Just set the trackers/files that you want to have priority. (Low/mid/high) **Right click --> bandwidth allocation.

Why only have 10 files in your application when most of the time it will just be dormant? The more you have that are "working" the more you will eventually upload. That is if you leave your computer on 24/7.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast