Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HDMI Cables

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I can't believe the prices some stores are charging for HDMI cables.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...06&catid=25326
    $600 for a 75m cable...

Even a 1m cable from monster costs over $100.

I got a free cable with my sister's cheapo lcd tv which probably costs the company about $2.
    It's a major selling point for the tv since buying a cable in the same store would cost a minimum of $50 anyway.

Home Depot, which doesn't specialize in electronics at all, carrys cables that cost $36.99, that's the best price i've found so far in canadian stores.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    The local Big Lots (a US close out store) has HDMI cables for under $10.
    Even at that price, it's a hard sell for me. From what I've read the improvement over regular wiring is so slight, it' just not worth it. At least not to me.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I compared component with HDMI and could see 0 difference.
    IMO the only advantage to hdmi is that it combines all those wires into one (2 audio, 3 video).

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    I was doing a job and the Audio Visual guys were in and I had a conversation with them about Monster. Apparently the idea that everyone has about them being the superior quality cable is wrong, there just as good as anything else out there. Nation Audio I think they were called.

I always look on www.redflagdeals.com, for people selling those cables.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)

yo

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Newegg is always good also HDMI cables search
    They have a bunch for $6 bucks USD

Also I had noticed the same thing about printer USB cables a while back. When you buy a printer in Best Buy it never comes with the cables and they charge OUTRAGEOUS prices for them. Evenstill they do this

BB:Geek Squad® - 10' USB 2.0 A/B Cable--$40.99

Newegg:GENERIC 10 ft. USB 2.0 AM/BM Silver Cable Model 10U2-02210-C - OEM-$2.39!

THATS OUTRAGEOUS!!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Also I had noticed the same thing about printer USB cables a while back. When you buy a printer in Best Buy it never comes with the cables and they charge OUTRAGEOUS prices for them. Evenstill they do this

BB:Geek Squad® - 10' USB 2.0 A/B Cable--$40.99

Newegg:[SIZE=2]GENERIC 10 ft. USB 2.0 AM/BM Silver Cable Model 10U2-02210-C - OEM[SIZE=4]-$2.39!

THATS OUTRAGEOUS!!
    One of the focal points of the shop where I used to work was the cable selection.
    We had a whole wall full (much to my chagrin...PITA to inventory and keep dusted, not to mention a boring use of valuable retail space, but...) and sold a ton of USB cables for new printers (even at $2.39 Newegg is more than doubling their cost, BTW).

Anyway, one day a guy walks in, bitches about needing a cable- most folks just assume there will be one in the box- and I show him our selection...the most expensive of which is $2.99.

He stares at them for a moment, turns to me and asks...
    "Got any used ones?"

Retail is a bitch.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    porscha's Avatar Poster

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    I can't believe the prices some stores are charging for HDMI cables.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...06&catid=25326
    $600 for a 75m cable...

Even a 1m cable from monster costs over $100.

I got a free cable with my sister's cheapo lcd tv which probably costs the company about $2.
    It's a major selling point for the tv since buying a cable in the same store would cost a minimum of $50 anyway.

Home Depot, which doesn't specialize in electronics at all, carrys cables that cost $36.99, that's the best price i've found so far in canadian stores.
    Thanks for the tip, I was looking for HDMI but refused to pay the outrageous prices. At Leon's in Ontario, Canada they wanted 100.00$. What a rip off these companies are charging. I do believe that components are just as good as someone else stated here. The advantage for HDMI is one cable instead of three, I like the idea of less wires hanging around. And now that the prices are consumer friendly I will buy one.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    Yeah, I'm amazed at what people will pay for "superior" quality gold-plated anti-ghoul yadda yadda cables. I just always try and buy things that come with the cables, unless I have to shell out a pretty hefty percentage of the original purchase.

I hate peripherals.
    Ask me about my self-esteem!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› BT Rep: +1
    I always get my HDMI cables from http://monoprice.com. Haven't checked in a while, but back when I would buy them, they were around $4 for 3ft. Pretty good deal imo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast