Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to spread heat compound

zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Difference is paste is made for noncritical or testing or nonpermanent rigs. And paste should be reapplied at least once a yr.

Thermal pads are meant as permanent solutions. And shouldn't be used on testing rigs. Rigs that are being assembled, reassembled. And can be left as is.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    The TT Blue Orb (which is a knockoff of the Zalman CNPS7700) does not come with thermal paste preapplied, so you'll have to do it yourself.
    Presumably, they include some in the packaging.
    I have the Blue ORb II and it's God damn huge! Works great and Looks cool as hell too Sure it's a knockoff but....it's blue. Check out the layout of your motherboard before you screw it down. You will have to remove your motherboard because to install the brackets you will need to screw them in from the backside of the MoBo. Some boards you won't have a prob with but some you will.make sure you install the Ram first and plug it in before you screw it down, on some boards you have to unscrew the whole thing to plug it in if you forgot ( Like I did twice). Also Mine didn't come with 5hit but I always keep some handy(they sell it in Radio Shack now). I first used this on my ASRock dual vsta 775 Mobo with little problem

Excuse the crappy cabling job this was my first try. Now I have a Gigabyte Board and notice how close the ram slots are

My ram sits under the fan so to remove that stick of ram I need to remove the Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Honestly I am no Guru like Clocker but I myself have noticed a considerable difference in temps between stock and Arctic Silver 5, Like 10+ degrees difference.

Also please remember if it does have stock compound on it for the love of god remove the plastic cover.
    You shouldn't of had that kind of difference. Maybe 4 degrees C is normal.
    I'm thinking that maybe it was just a matter of re-seating the heatsink. That is, unless you where not using the heatsink/compound from AMD/Intel.
    Very well might have been, also I got the new case( antec 900)at the same time and that could have had alot to do with it too. I wasn't testing really I just happened to notice.

Do I smell another Clocker test coming!!! I hope sooo
    Last edited by Detale; 01-16-2008 at 07:45 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Not a bad looking system, something to be proud of.
    Surely beats anything you could have picked up and pulled out of a box.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Thats my old one, I will take some pics of the new one when I get around to it.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Acid_death69's Avatar confuddled?!
    Well i didnt have any problem fitting the brackets to the mother board i have a standard AM2 so i dont have to take the motherboard out. But what i did have a problem with was trying to get the heatsink in. I thought of installing the ram first and i glad i did part of the heat sink covers them. When i was trying to install the heat sink the little springs on the side are so strong i had to put my whole body wait on them to fit in the case. Did you have the problem Detale?

My name is Dan for the people who care!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12