Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toshiba pitches HD DVD players as... DVD machines

Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    A week after the battle with Blu-ray Disc swung further toward that rival format, Toshiba said it will promote its players on their ability to upscale standard-definition content for HDTVs.

"Major initiatives... are designed to spotlight the superior benefits of HD DVD as well as the benefits HD DVD brings to a consumer’s current DVD library by upconverting standard DVDs via the HDMI output to near high-def picture quality," the company said.

"With DVD upconversion via the HDMI output, HD DVD players instantly make a movie lover's existing DVD library look better than ever," it claimed.

Toshiba's players have always done a good job upscaling DVD content, and while the consumer electronics giant has never ignored that feature, we don't recall it ever making such a big deal about it.

Some may see the move as a sign of Toshiba's desperation, but it's actually a smart strategy to pursue as the HD disc market moves beyond the early adopter into the mainstream. In December 2007, US market watcher The Diffusion Group forecast big demand for HD DVD among "second-wave" consumers who already own an HD TV but not a hi-def player, and among folk who have yet to get a flat-panel display.

These folk are certainly going to be keener to buy product that allows them to replace an existing DVD player and bring their library with them than to simply add another player to the AV stack.

The danger is that while this approach may boost sales of HD DVD players, it doesn't necessarily encourage the uptake of HD DVDs themselves. Why buy a movie on HD DVD if the DVD's much cheaper and your player makes it look almost as good as the pricier product?

A sign of the end?

Source: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01...vd_for_hd_dvd/

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    porscha's Avatar Poster
    So sad that Toshiba has lost the war. Don't they realize that we can buy an upconverter that cost so much cheaper. Are they all on drugs or something. I thought they would come back stronger seeing that blu is not really prepared but hey that is life and life goes on.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by porscha View Post
    So sad that Toshiba has lost the war. Don't they realize that we can buy an upconverter that cost so much cheaper.
    Really?

I've seen HD-DVD players as low as $100 and they can always be had for less than $200.

I'd rather have an upconvert player for $100 than an upconverter for $80.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    AmpeD's Avatar the o'lol factor BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    i got a perfectly fine upconvert samsung for 50. hd dvd is 200 for the lowest end.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Afaik HD DVD lowend is ~$100 & higher end is ~$140.

FatWallet dot com

Hot Deals section

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    AmpeD's Avatar the o'lol factor BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    wow, its dropped alot since I last checked

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    My Samsung DVD player already has HDMI upconversion. I've been using it for almost a year now. It's bs tho. You aren't getting HD content until you pop in a Blu-Ray disc which actually is higher resolution for the HDMI to take real advantage of.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    I have a toshiba HD-A30, and it does great upconversion. Og course the real HD discs are much better. Hey - you get 10 or so when you buy one too - do the math...
    The PIP and ethernet connection work well, and I can even play HD material burnt on to standard dvd-r's. This is real cool, although the length is limited at good quality compression. Also, no f***ing region encoding. HD-DVD's from all over the world work on alll machines. (Wife is Japanese, and this is impt).
    But, hey, sometimes the best doesn't win. I'll keep hoping for now.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AmpeD View Post
    wow, its dropped alot since I last checked
    As someone else pointed out,
    it might just be because they are losing.

Good video about the current situation

[youtube]friS4OOcdgQ[/youtube]
    Last edited by Broken; 01-16-2008 at 05:14 AM.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    NZB Looter
    It's hilarious!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast