Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Torchwood

Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    Oh my God the mistletoe bit and Victoria staying there and he died that night

Visitors are often struck by the unusual air of the library - curiously, Sir George had the walls and doors varnished with viscum album - oil of mistletoe.

When Sir Robert MacLeish died in 1879 the male line was extinguished, and his widow ordered the house shut up. It was subsequently purchased by The Crown, perhaps in remembrance of the close bond between the MacLeishes and Queen Victoria's beloved husband Prince Albert.

The Queen visited Torchwood herself once, and her bedroom can still be seen. It cannot have been a happy visit, however. Tragically, Sir Robert died during her stay.
    IT'S ALL TRUE!

EDIT: Except the disclaimer page, which is totally made up...

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by benchez View Post

So the show sounds pretty overall to sum up.
    Hmmm I found out that:

The creator, Russell T Davies, also made Queer As Folk and a gay mini-series, Bob and Rose.

Oh and Russell is gay himself.

I am not surprised.
    You genuinely don't get the idea that people from the future, or from another planet may see sexuality from this time as repressed, at least on the surface. In the same way as we may see Victorian sexuality in the same light.

Neither of the characters are portrayed as gay they are portrayed as being if anything bi-sexual. However if memory serves Capn. Jack has expressed the opinion that he wouldn't be averse to a bit of cross species action. Indeed if they are from a different planet that's almost certainly the case anyway. Whatever the gender.

I could just delete all of the above and type "homophobe" however I've typed it now so I won't bother.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    chalice's Avatar ____________________

Hmmm I found out that:

The creator, Russell T Davies, also made Queer As Folk and a gay mini-series, Bob and Rose.

I am not surprised.
    You genuinely don't get the idea that people from the future, or from another planet may see sexuality from this time as repressed, at least on the surface. In the same way as we may see Victorian sexuality in the same light.

Neither of the characters are portrayed as gay they are portrayed as being if anything bi-sexual. However if memory serves Capn. Jack has expressed the opinion that he wouldn't be averse to a bit of cross species action. Indeed if they are from a different planet that's almost certainly the case anyway. Whatever the gender.

I could just delete all of the above and type "homophobe" however I've typed it now so I won't bother.
    My foundation of disbelief as regards to the 'omnisexualism' which pervades Torchwood (and to some extent now, Doctor Who) comes from your very point. Indubitably, sexual preferences are likely to be diverse in the future and it's a nice plot arc to some degree.

I have a problem with the way it's handled, so to speak. I think it's thrown in as shock-factor. Watching Captain Jack's progress through Doctor Who and Torchwood, I think rather than being gay, he's some kind of sex maniac. He was revving up to slip one into David Tennant at the end of the last series if I remember correctly.

There are women, and there are men. There are animals and there are alien mollusks. But hands off the Timelords. That's just sick.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame
    Quote Originally Posted by chalice View Post

There are women, and there are men. There are animals and there are alien mollusks. But hands off the Timelords. That's just sick.
    Indeed, that's taking it too far.

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by chalice View Post
    I think it's thrown in as shock-factor.
    Exactly. The creator being gay certainly plays a part in that.

6. Lounge   -   #36

Hmmm I found out that:

I am not surprised.
    How so? I don't like seeing men kiss. I'm not scared of homosexuals.

The show is good otherwise so I continue to watch it. It doesn't derail the entire show. It's just annoying and adds no dynamic to the character.

Funny enough, I'm glad HDNet brought it over here. Torchwood looks great in HD (but not men kissing in HD).

I wish they had Doctor Who instead of the Sci-Fi channel (no HD feed on FIOS yet).
    Last edited by Busyman™; 01-19-2008 at 09:07 PM.

7. Lounge   -   #37
    I'm not scared of homosexuals.

Bet you're not afraid of your house either.

“It’s not the will to win that counts - it is the will to prepare”

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Fromagepas View Post

I'm not scared of homosexuals.

Bet you're not afraid of your house either.
    Uh yeahhhhh, mmk.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234