Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which PCI graphic card for Dimension 2350?

dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Managed to rescue a Dell Dimension 2350 P4 with 512mb of ram that was being "binned" because it was broken, asked if I could have it and take it home to see if I could fix it(they said help yourself) and asked what they meant by "broken", was told the operating system was broken and couldn't be repaired, and that was the IT Department!!!

With a deadpan face I said that sounds bad but I might be able to use a few bits from it.

Anyway, got it home and within 2 hours had formatted the hdd and put the latest xp pro onto it, NOT BROKEN ANYMORE NOW!

This thing is pretty quick and a great upgrade(he had a P3) for my 8 year old son but the onboard graphics are awful, have Googled all evening but not getting anywhere so asking you guys for some help, do you know of a pci graphic card(needs to be 128mb at least) that will defo work with this?

Cheers if you can.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    doesn't it have to have pci express available on the mobo for a graphics card? How good are pci graphics cards? Why don't you look for a decent AGP card.
    Last edited by backlash; 01-18-2008 at 02:22 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by backlash View Post
    doesn't it have to have pci express available on the mobo for a graphics card? How good are pci graphics cards? Why don't you look for a decent AGP card.
    No pci_e or agp slots om m/b.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Wow man, you're making me relive my youth again. I haven't thought about PCI video cards in almost a decade. Easy link to Newegg.
    They have a bunch, personally I'd recommend this but it's one of the most expensive pci cards out there (95 bucks). It'll play F.E.A.R. though, according to reviews. There are a bunch around 50, if you want an older card, you could get a 9250 instead of a x1550.

Forgot to mention, if you get the x1550, you might need to replace the power supply with a better one.
    Last edited by Zelucifer; 01-18-2008 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Forgot about the wattage

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgy368 View Post
    This thing is pretty quick and a great upgrade(he had a P3) for my 8 year old son but the onboard graphics are awful...
    What is so awful about the onboard graphics?

It's an old, fairly low-spec PC and if the mobo or power supply die (the two most likely scenarios), not worth fixing, so I wouldn't put much money into it.

Since you live in a large city there should be some small independent PC shops around and it's likely they have used PCI cards for sale cheap.
    That's what I'd do.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    I don't believe ATI produced a DX9 PCI graphics card, so about the best option you are going to find will be an Nvidia 5200.

You could do as clocker says, but it might be cheaper and easier to get something on ebay, fuel costs while you are looking would almost certainly outweigh the P&P charges you would incur.

Make sure it has the right connector, or the adapter that came with the card.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    are PCI graphics cards the original type? pre-AGP?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Yes.

They are frequently found commingled with dinosaur bones.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    LOL

/me is still looking into her new puter parts

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Yes.

They are frequently found commingled with dinosaur bones.
    I miss my Voodoo I have so many memories of playing Quake on that thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast