Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: been out of the loop. using bearshare any suggestions

ok, so I have been out of the loop for a while and i am currently using bearshare and want to get involved in torrents. I truely want to get into a good torrent site, but i am currently just using bearshare and i am wondering what if anything is better than bearshare. Is there something newer and better. obviously a newbie, i know. Torrents intimidate me. Any suggestions?

oops not sure how i ended up posting this topic here. Holy crap. can you say NEWBIE. Can you move this to the correct forum topic. SORRY!
    Last edited by purplethunder; 01-18-2008 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    SiNa's Avatar Lucid Dreaming BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    Quote Originally Posted by purplethunder View Post
    Holy crap
    lol. they're going to ban you now!

well you shouldnt be afraid of using torrents cuz its quite easy. all you do is download the torrent from a site and then open it with a program like utorrent. i suggest you get used to torrents by first using public trackers, since they have no ratio rule. it could be hard to maintain a good ratio if you;re using torrents for the first time. you can use mininova.org and thepiratebay.org

after a while you can start using private trackers. you will get used to it, dont worry

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    horiZen's Avatar >>SSL ENCRYPTED<<
    as SiNa said,,torrents are the way forward, forget bearshare
    best of luck to you in your future torrenting

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    sleepyy's Avatar Old-Fashioned BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    p2p i use shareaza 2.0 and utorent 1.6 if you want to start off with torrents isohunt, btjunkie, torrentspy, all good for use of public if you want a semmi private tracker try araditracker its open sign ups and you can request what you like once you reach a certain amount of gigs uploaded if it's content try torrent damage for a private site.

p2p is still great what ever you can't find on torrnet sites you will find there i almost find anything on p2p old and new i could not find the 200 bevis and butthead episodes on any torrent sites and it was all on shareaza and still is i have the whole lot being shared now also be careful if you have one of those crappy isps use peer guadian to block those nasties from reporting you speeds are not the best on p2p if the your client is set correctly with your connection on popular files you will get great speeds.
    Last edited by sleepyy; 01-18-2008 at 01:49 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    download utorrent for your client (the program) because it takes up very little performance from your pc and is the standard.
    http://www.utorrent.com/

then go to
    http://thepiratebay.org/
    http://isohunt.com/

to find the files you want. when you click download a menu should open in utorrent asking you to check the files you want to download out of the package. then click ok and sit back while you get your files. after you get comfortable with this new system, then it'll be time to become a member of trackers
    Last edited by T.S.O.L.; 01-18-2008 at 10:10 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    SenorBubbz's Avatar /¨_¨°.-.§.-.°¨_¨\ BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Just pm me and I'll hook you up with an invite to get you started.
    o hai

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    so much great info. Thanxs for the help and ideas! I guess bt looks like the way to go. I will just have to get over my fears This may sound like a stupid question, but do viruses and "stuff" get through torrents easier, I guess what i am saying is will my adwatcher and virus software catch things that might come across through a torrent just like any other file that is downloaded. I just have been screwed a few times with downloads and I HATE adware.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    no, torrents are safer than direct p2p software like bearshare, as long as you are using a trusted (which is basically everything i can think of). the pirate bay has a comments feature so other previous downloaders can give feedback about the file, and in general, if the file isn't what it says it is, noone will continue to seed it and it will die.

if you're paranoid about viruses, which is irrational imo when downloading torrents, stick to the ones with the most seeders. this is a guarantee that the file is genuine. you shouldnt run into a problem on isohunt, mininova, the pirate bay, or any major tracker.

i would however suggest not to use private trackers unless you need something thats not on a public one, until you get used to using it, and understand how seeding and ratios work. that way you'll have a better start when you DO convert over to private trackers. for me it took over a year until i started using private trackers.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    ok so i went onto a site started a download, it started to download and said access denied after a minute. why would it do this? I am using Utorrent

finely got it to work turned off adaware and increase up loads and downloads. who knows, but it is working, yeah!
    Last edited by purplethunder; 01-19-2008 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by purplethunder View Post
    ok so i went onto a site started a download, it started to download and said access denied after a minute. why would it do this? I am using Utorrent

finely got it to work turned off adaware and increase up loads and downloads. who knows, but it is working, yeah!
    I would get that sometimes when using Transmission but it has never happened with Azureus, not sure if it might be a client issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast