Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: getting caught...

YAY FOR TRADING/! BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by T.S.O.L.
    In canada, where I'm from, noone gets notices atm, at least to my knowledge
    do you really live in canada? have you heard of demonoid? canada's where that entire tracker was taken down ;/

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by madbeer View Post

What precautions can be taken?

One could:
    use a block list (peer guardian)
    use TOR to anonymize HTTP requests while browsing tracker
    use TOR to anonymize tracker communication
    use BT protocol encryption
    not bt at all

am i missing anything?
    where can i find a guide to do all those above mentioned steps to secure my bt traffic ?

especially step 2 and 3

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by 360 View Post
    From what I understand of tor, you wont be able to use it in private trackers as it hides your true Ip address. Are there any private trackers allowing the use of tor?
    You are correct, 360. Most trackers don't allow anonymous proxies that tor uses. This is to prevent people from having multiple accounts. I don't think they're are any descent trackers that tor works works on. Tor is meant for the less secure open trackers such as TPB, Isohunt, Torrentspy etc.
    See ya in another life, brother.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    madbeer's Avatar brewed locally BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 360 View Post
    From what I understand of tor, you wont be able to use it in private trackers as it hides your true Ip address. Are there any private trackers allowing the use of tor?
    well if you know the sysops personally its not that big of a deal

Quote Originally Posted by FatBob View Post

One could:
    not bt at all

am i missing anything?
    where can i find a guide to do all those above mentioned steps to secure my bt traffic ?

especially step 2 and 3
    PM me and ill hook you up

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    So what are the chances of getting a letter from an organization that does not like what I am doing? (hypothetically)

One could:
    not bt at all

am i missing anything?
    If you want to know what precautions to make then you have to have some understanding of how you will get one of these letters in the first place. All it takes if for an organisation to download the .torrent file, join the swarm and note down the ips of everyone sharing that file. They will then send letters out to the relevant ISPs who will in turn write to you.

All this means that using TOR for your http/tracker communications wont make the slightest difference. (its more likely to get banned from the tracker). Neither will using protocol encryption. A block list may offer some protection but I take the view that its likely to be minimal.

If you really want to minimise your chances of being caught (without spending any money) then there are two simple things you should do:

1) Stick to small private trackers. Public sites and large private trackers such as TL are crawling with anti-piracy organisations. You should avoid them.

2) Only download what you really need. Dont be one of the idiots who downloads 100gb a week just for their ratio or because they like to hoard stuff. If you've got time to watch that many movies a week or play that many games then you should go out more.

Of course there will always be some risk. So if you want to be completely safe then stop breaking the law

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    $we's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by grimms View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post

Democracy is only for the rich and powerful. They will never pass a law which would allow us to usurp our owners/leaders.
    Well said. Which is sad but very true.
    It is not well said. It's bullshit. His definition of democracy couldn't be more wrong; His comparison between a minority of people changing the just copyright laws and "us" usurping our leaders is false and melodramatic. Honestly, how could you have read his post and NOT feel revolted, but instead felt the opposite?
    This is me utterly confused.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    so guys

(drunk madbeer):

no matter what we do we are always vulnerable to those that dislike our activities

I have come to realize this.

so shiat, whilst I will always torrent, now I will focus most of my drunken brainpower towards getting into broads panties.

thank you FST.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    Here's some interesting reading material for you.. Short, simple. Was written by our first administrator Paul (user is VB cos Paul was deleted a couple years ago..). Read it.

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-fil...ng-shows-22501

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showt...ghtning+caught

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    I'm not from ireland.

whilst I appreciate the stats that are listed in your linked thread, i realize the potential for prosecution under the DMCA/Patriot act is very real. fuck that chance. my career is more important.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by $we View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grimms View Post

Well said. Which is sad but very true.
    It is not well said. It's bullshit. His definition of democracy couldn't be more wrong; His comparison between a minority of people changing the just copyright laws and "us" usurping our leaders is false and melodramatic. Honestly, how could you have read his post and NOT feel revolted, but instead felt the opposite?
    This is me utterly confused.
    True Democracy is for all majority and minorities of this country. Unfortunately the way the country is being run now are quite different from what Democracy really means to us all in the states and stand for. Freedom of choice, will, and speech. Also the right to vote, own property among other things that were fought for over 2000 plus years here.

Now of days these things (democracy) are being bought and sold behind closed doors from lobbyists's and conformists and things are being dictated to us through media outlets (owned by big corporations like newscorp). Corporations run everything, because of their deep pockets and buy their rights by funding state politicians, senators, governors, potential candidates running for president. Would you like me to go on?
    Last edited by grimms; 01-19-2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: edit

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast