Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FTP speeds to the US

Hey Guys,

Quick question. Since most seedbox companies are out of the US. What kind of FTP speeds can i expect from a lets say a seedbox in france?

Thanks!
    -Kevin

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I was able to get about 500-600kb/s from my OVH box to my home connection that has a max speed of 800kb/s. I got a little better speeds from my leaseweb box, maybe 600-700kb/s.

This may all change if you get a shared seedbox, I currently have an O**S*****.pl box and I get anywhere from 20kb/s to about 400fb/s. This is an OVH dedicated server shared by 5 users so there are a lot of people "fighting" for the bandwidth.

Carl
    Last edited by Carlpb; 04-02-2009 at 11:16 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster
    I'm new to seedboxes but I get the impression most seedbox companies are not out of the US.

I tried one shared seedbox service which was an OVH reseller and the ftp speed was really terrible most of the time. For me this issue has become more important than torrent speed. It doesn't do me much good if a torrent downloads at 5MB/s and I can only get it from the seedbox at 30KB/s.
    Last edited by sync; 04-02-2009 at 04:38 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Generally speaking, there are far too many variables involved for anyone to be able to give you a definitive answer. Between things like the speed and quality of your own connection, your ISP's route to the box, the backbone the box is on, the bandwidth the box is allotted, and how many other users on the box are sucking up that bandwidth at any given time, stating expected FTP speeds really becomes a guessing game. Your best bet, and something I definitely encourage based on my own experiences, is to ask prospective box hosts to provide you with a limited test/trial account in order to test your own downstream speeds before committing to a purchase or contract. I would also suggest running multiple tests at different times of the day since speeds can, obviously, vary greatly at peak traffic periods. You can always ask the host what kind of speeds customers from your particular region are seeing, but there's really no way to be certain until you test it out yourself, especially since two ISP's in the same city can have completely different routes to your box. If the host is unwilling to provide a means of testing your downstream, find a reseller who is, or start making inquiries in various forums as you are doing now, but include specific information as to the host and your ISP/connection.
    Last edited by j3s; 04-02-2009 at 08:17 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    it's pretty easy, you get the max of your connection, via FTP multithreading. done.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    it's pretty easy, you get the max of your connection, via FTP multithreading. done.
    I have a 6 meg connection @ home (Deep South Location USA). With one FTP transfer thread I get about 320kb/s or less. With Multithread Enabled, I can double that and go up to 740kb/s with 2 connections. I use 3D ftp and works great for me.

Thanks

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    yeah, i use 3d-ftp too, by far the best FTP client around.
    it's just a matter of opening as much threads as needed until maxing out the connection

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster
    I looked at the 3D-FTP site. It talks about transferring multiple files simultaneously. Can it use multiple connections on just one large file?

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    Good question. I think I tried this once with one file and for some reason, It didn't like it and stayed with one thread , one connection. YOu can always split the file in 2-3 parts then download it. When you get them all, just use the same program and join them back together..
    Last edited by theshadow1234; 04-03-2009 at 01:38 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by theshadow1234 View Post
    Good question. I think I tried this once with one file and for some reason, It didn't like it and stayed with one thread , one connection. YOu can always split the file in 2-3 parts then download it. When you get them all, just use the same program and join them back together..
    I only have TorrentFlux access. I don't think I can split files on the server.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast