Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how exactly is an account "stolen"

DKre8ive1's Avatar L0st N S0und BT Rep: +2
    For anyone looking for a good password generator I would suggest this site-> https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

But to be honest it does get old when you have users coming in and using the my account got hacked excuse to try and recover there account on a bad trade or for what ever reason they didn't apply a strong password to there account.

The funny part is we just had someone join our channel and use this same excuse not even a few minutes before I seen this thread.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    pandabear's Avatar Internet BT Rep: +2
    Theres better programs out there which manage the password for you. Like you choose a password like shoehat, and it turns it into alphanumerical password. So when you wanna log into a site, you just type shoehat into program, and it puts in your alphanumerical pass.

Someone invite me to fsc please

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Poster BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    botnetted by external connections maybe?

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
    Theres better programs out there which manage the password for you. Like you choose a password like shoehat, and it turns it into alphanumerical password. So when you wanna log into a site, you just type shoehat into program, and it puts in your alphanumerical pass.
    sounds like a good program pandabear, mind telling me what the name of that program is?

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    We did recently have an issue where a tracker was storing passwords as plain text rather than hashes, and when that database was stolen, caused tracker owners some concern. All accounts on the database list were flagged, and the members were asked to make sure they used a unique password for our sites.

Of course, if it isn't an account being stolen, it's someones' gmail account. This is another con, usually as part of a trade, where a member says that they have had their email account stolen, and can we please change their site email to [email protected]. Site staff don't fall for this practice either.

In five years of being tracker staff, there was only one time that a member has genuinely had their account stolen, to my knowledge, and that was because they had their laptop stolen on campus, and it still contained valid cookies, allowing the thief free access to all the bookmarked sites.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    Giveaway's Avatar Senior Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by danio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
    sounds like a good program pandabear, mind telling me what the name of that program is?
    yes i need that application too.
    pandabear let us know the name
    just do giveaways and help who deserves

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Actually a good option for multiple passwords is a biometric scanner ( a fingerprint scanner ). I use the Microsoft one but there are several brands available, and they are now a feature on some high end laptop /desktop systems. The beauty of the scanner is that when you come to a login information page you simply add this to the scanners database and when ever it requires the password you simply your finger on the scanner and the login info is retrieved. The username/passwords are stored in an encrypted database within the scanner application and there is nothing simpler for storing and retrieving multiple passwords. Far less chance of someone accessing that a/c than having a word document lying around with all those passwords in it.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    pandabear's Avatar Internet BT Rep: +2
    Only down side to finger print scanner, is someone can lock you out of your laptop for 15 minutes, if they try and authenticate too many times and fail. People seems to think finger print scanner, means you gotta have atleast 20 goes trying to login

Someone invite me to fsc please

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    if trackers introduced a biometrical authentification method the next thing you would read in the invite section is:

trade my finger for *** account.
    Last edited by Polarbear; 01-25-2008 at 09:18 PM. Reason: grammar

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    if trackers introduced a biometrical authentification method the next thing you would read in the invite section is:

trade my finger for *** account.
    ROFL!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast