Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Author pirates his own books, gets thousands of new readers

Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    The best-selling Brazilian author Paulo Coelho told the audience of the Digital Life Design conference last week in Munich that he has been secretly helping online book pirates - and in turn has gotten thousands and thousands of new readers.

Coelho said that he had some great experiences with free promotional book downloads, but oftentimes foreign publishers wouldn't support the idea of giving away his books. So he got creative and mingled with the pirates.

Coelho went to Torent sites and downloaded copies of his books in all kinds of different languages. He then started a Wordpress blog called Pirate Coelho and uploaded all those pirated copies there, free to download for everyone. Of course, he had to make some publicity for this site, so he decided to "find" it himself. From his keynote speech:

"We put up a link on the blog, like I was very surprised. (...) The link is on the main page of my blog. I have to play a little bit naive, that I don't know. But people go there, they download the book, and, believe it or not: The sales of the book increased a lot."

Paulo Coelho has sold over 100 million books worldwide, and his works have been translated into 66 languages. He told his audience in Munich that he believes authors can benefit from following his example and giving away their works:

"At the end of the day people are going to buy it because it stimulates people to read and it simulates people to buy."

Source: http://www.p2p-blog.com/item-466.html

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    BANNED BT Rep: +1
    That's interesting, I would be pissed if I had bought one of his books.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    BANNED BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by Diiyad View Post
    That's interesting, I would be pissed if I had bought one of his books.
    You are lame, and so are the ones who think like you

I have a few books from him and i'm sure i would buy more if i had the time to read those he has on the net.

They are wonderfull, and if you read any book of him you would buy it too, you would want to make part of it, to crave for your rightfull piece of art.

I'm glad he is not only allowing more people to enjoy his art, but also unveilling some light to publishers.

My personal toughts on this

And that's what's happening, with music games and everything that publishers call "piracy". More people try it, and more people enjoy it, even that they could keep the "pirated" stuff with all the benefits that someone who paid has, they still buy it, they want a piece of it too, and not that anyone cares, but sales increase.

Many publishers clame revenue loss every year, but they forget there's an economic crysis going on and i guess they would loose more if there wasn't that thing called "piracy".
    Last edited by jokzor; 01-25-2008 at 12:15 PM.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    BANNED BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jokzor View Post
    Let me use this opportunity to teach you a lesson on how to post on forums. Avoid using the word "you" in a negative connotation. "You are lame" sounds more confrontational than "I don't like the idea that. . . ." Not only does it make you look bad, but now your opinion on the topic has been ignored.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    snowultra's Avatar Member
    he is a great author. i guess he might be doing it, is to get the people who arent reading, to start reading his books.
    i have 2 of his books, and those are great reads

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Paulo Coelho has earned plenty plenty plenty off of his books, and especially since his work seems to be about inner health, which should be shared. it seems only logical that he does this.
    Respect.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Good for him. Its good to see that some people realize promoting your book through back channels can often lead to higher profits.

Now if only the music industry could see this.....

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Diiyad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jokzor View Post
    Let me use this opportunity to teach you a lesson on how to post on forums. Avoid using the word "you" in a negative connotation. "You are lame" sounds more confrontational than "I don't like the idea that. . . ." Not only does it make you look bad, but now your opinion on the topic has been ignored.
    actually i won't let you use this opportunity to teach anything at all, if you read my opinion you would have learned something so far, no matter how ignored my post can be, it is better than "i feel bad cause i paid for it and now i could have it free" so learn how to be, before teaching anyone how to post.. lame

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    great news

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by MattieTK View Post
    great news
    great post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast