Thread: Just bought the Dell XPS M1330. Questions

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars

Heart

I JUST BOUGHT IT!! soo excited!
    Here's how much I ended up paying for it
    -Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB, 4MB Cache)
    -Windows Vista™ Home Premium Edition (my school sells vista ultimate for $15, but only 5 installations)
    -Tuxedo Black
    -3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
    -LED Display with VGA Webcam
    -128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS
    -160GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) Free Fall Sensor
    -Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card
    -6 cell Primary Battery and 9 cell additional Lithium Ion Battery
    -3Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor, 24x7 Phone Support
    -Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)
    -Others: 1 year lojack, no software, etc

$2,303.00 - $799 Dell Instant Savings - $150.40 (10% off XPS 1330) - $108.29 (8% off laptop with 3/4 year warranty) + free 3-5 day shipping = $1,344.89

I think I got a pretty decent deal on it.

Estimated to ship Feb. 1. Based on how fast Dell's been pumping these out recently, I'd say I'd get it late next week.

Also, I read http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3898 that the GPU goes up to 95C 30 minutes in playing Rainbow Six. Holy shit!!

I thought my E1505 w/ x1400 was hot, but that only does 75C max.

I have a few more questions:
    1. I can get Vista Ultimate Upgrade from my school for $15. I just bought a m1330 with vista home premium. If I upgrade to Ultimate, will that mess up any of the drivers and software? Will Dell Media Direct still work if I upgrade to Ultimate? Can anyone tell me what I need to be careful of? What I need to do differently?
    2. Also, should I decide to get XP instead, there's no more issues with the drivers like illustrated in this thread right? http://www.dellcommunity.com/support...ing&page=1

3. The CPU is EM64T according to Intel, so it is 64bit. Does dell include the 64bit or the 32bit of vista?
    4. What's the difference if the OS is 32bit and the CPU is 64bit? Do I loose potential speed? Should I get a 64bit os?

5. Does anyone know what the hdd spec is? Does the m1330 use SATA 3.0GB/S or SATA ATA150?
    Last edited by abu_has_the_power; 01-26-2008 at 06:51 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    We will remember you in our prayers.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    can I curse? FUCK!
    holy shit dude. No special coupon numbers at all?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    do u want me to post some? I ended up using 1 coupon code and I got 8% off from being a college student or something like that.

http://www.notebookforums.com/post2823562-5.html

that's how to get the discounts. the $799 off is just an instant savings if you choose the "best" config, and it expires Jan. 30. the 8% i think might have already expired. I got it the day before it expired i think. The 10% expires pretty soon too. you have to go to the site, register your email and dell sends you your own coupon code. it can only be used once.

but can u guys help me w/ some questions? basically i was told by a friend who has 64bit xp that it sucks, and i should just stick with 32bit cuz of compatibility issues. i only have 3 gigs anyway, so it's not gonna make that much of a difference. makes sense.

I'm debating vista or xp. the only reason y i'd go xp is because protowall and peerguardian don't work in vista. i'm not gonna game that heavily on this anyway.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by abu_has_the_power View Post
    i was told by a friend who has 64bit xp that it sucks, and i should just stick with 32bit cuz of compatibility issues.
    You need different friends.
    XP64 does not suck...on my machine it runs better than 32 bit.

Didn't your machine come with Windows?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Can i have it?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abu_has_the_power View Post
    i was told by a friend who has 64bit xp that it sucks, and i should just stick with 32bit cuz of compatibility issues.
    You need different friends.
    XP64 does not suck...on my machine it runs better than 32 bit.

Didn't your machine come with Windows?
    he has a intel quad core extreme something or other w/ 4gb and a 8800gtx. he said he didn't notice much of a difference in speed. but he did notice how much time he spent trying to find the drivers and patches for the software to be compatible w/ 64bit.

i'm not sure if it's worth the trouble if i won't notice much of a speed increase. would there be a significant speed increase?

this laptop ships with 32bit vista home prem. my machine... like my other laptop? the Dell E1505? that wasn't 64bit, and it came with windows yes.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    AmpeD's Avatar the o'lol factor BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    yea you saved about 300 bucks on that. similar on newegg for 1600. nice laptop.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    dell just sent me an email! the order status now says shipped! i know dhl doesn't ship on sundays, but it'll prob come out on monday!

damn that's fast. i ordered it on thursday, and this is the 4th day! wheee!!!