Thread: Grabit question

DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24

Question Mark

Often times, Grabit will automatically unrar what I've just downloaded which is what I come to expect but on a few occasions, it doesn't, leaving me to manually extract it myself. Why is that?
    "However awkwardly they might navigate the outside world, over the board they were killers." - NYT

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Mine is set not to extract a file that doesn't have pars, that setting is by default.
    So, I am guessing that's what's going on with yours too.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    You're right.

I'm relatively new to NG's so this question might be silly but why wouldn't I want a download with no pars be automatically extracted.
    "However awkwardly they might navigate the outside world, over the board they were killers." - NYT

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Because there is nothing to check it against for errors.
    The default action is to check the file for errors using the pars, extract the file, and then delete the pars and RARs.

If you have the RARs and do it by hand and there is an error but there is no pars, there is still a chance that the RAR archive has a recovery record that can be used to repair the file set by hand.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Thnx for clarifying that.

there is still a chance that the RAR archive has a recovery record that can be used to repair the file set by hand.
    Now where would I get such recovery record?

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    First, I would just see if the file extracts without errors.
    If needed it's embedded in the archive if there is one. In WinRAR, there is a icon for repair - not every set have one).

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Noted. Much obliged.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    The default action is to check the file for errors using the pars, extract the file, and then delete the pars and RARs.

If you have the RARs and do it by hand and there is an error but there is no pars, there is still a chance that the RAR archive has a recovery record that can be used to repair the file set by hand.
    That's still no reason to disable the option.

At least let it try; more often than not Grabit will extract without any hiccups. If not, well, just do it the old fashioned way.

yo

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post

That's still no reason to disable the option.

At least let it try; more often than not Grabit will extract without any hiccups. If not, well, just do it the old fashioned way.
    I make a point of making sure everything I download has pars - 99.9% of everything I download has pars.
    It's really a non-issue for myself.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)

I make a point of making sure everything I download has pars - 99.9% of everything I download has pars.
    It's really a non-issue for myself.
    I do as well, though with NZBs, I rarely verify their presence.

yo