Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New PC Build [2008]

mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    so, i'm up and running. currently dl'ing team fortress 2 so i figured i'd post this.

1. GIGABYTE GA-X38-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Ultra Durable 2, Ultra Cooling Intel Motherboard - Retail

2. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

3. Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

4. BFG Tech BFGE88512GTSE GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

5. ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - Retail

6. Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series - Retail

7. Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM x2 in RAID 0

8. Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

9. OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply 100 - 240 V CB/CE/CSA/UL/FCC - Retail

10. LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe - Retail

11. GIGABYTE 3D Aurora 570 GZ-FA1CA-ASB Black 1.0 mm Aluminum body ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

benchmarked 3dmark06 @ 12k

cpuz giving me wrong readings. not sure if my memory is @ preferred settings. i'm used to asus bios and this is my first gigabyte mb. literature is a bit different compared to the asus mb's i'm used to. i DO like gigabytes @Bios bios updater! push like 3 keys and ur done. love it. will be in tweaking mode for awhile. not going water, but i mite be able to score 4ghz out of this cpu, but i'll probably just settle on 3.6ghz for it doesn't require more power and the heat doesn't raise either. must tweak with ram settings as well. either way, all that copper looks pretty & 100% SATA.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Looks good to me Nails. I actually have
    #'s 3,8,and 10 All I have had no problem with at all.

About the X38 chipset how's that working for you? I am waiting a while before taking the plunge.

Also I have a gigabyte Board I am just starting to get used to.

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L

Also The same ram and Cpu z and Everest give me the wrong readings too. Im thinking it's not the ram anymore because of what Lynx said in this thread I asked in.

The case looks good, not my cup of tea, but cases are personal so glad you like it. I do like the 2 rear exhaust fans though.

The @Bios is great and the Easy tune pro works well also big help with the OC'ing. Good luck with it man

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    thx, and yeah i fixed my ram issue. now, i just need to fix my cpu issue. EVERY program says i'm running @ 3ghz even the bios. cpuz says 2ghz. i'm guessing i'm good, but i still would like to see wtf it's reading 1ghz short. maybe teh program needs to be updated.

yeah, only problem i had with this build was the zalman. i tried to use a 3rd party bracket cuz i didn't want to remove the under carriage crazy cool copper heatsink and that just didnt' work. so, i ended up removing that crazy cool hs and the zalman fits wonderfully.

basically just trying to get this shit up and running. ie: games, programs, user settings... seems i can't update windows and/or windows defender.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    you don't really need 1066 ballistics imo. 800 can easily OC there. would've saved you a few bucks.

btw are you OC'ing the rig? you should be able to squeeze at least 15k out of 3d mark with specs like that.

cheers on the new rig mate.^^

edit: you should go for 4ghz at least, cus that's what these're supposed to be able to do even on air. even the e6750s could get to 3.6 easy, so don't waste your new processor. gotta squeeze the balls outta these things ^^
    Last edited by athenaesword; 01-28-2008 at 02:03 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Just because you can, does that mean you should?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    With those specs you shouldn't have to OC at all. Better off letting the rig run that way.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by athenaesword View Post
    you don't really need 1066 ballistics imo. 800 can easily OC there. would've saved you a few bucks.

btw are you OC'ing the rig? you should be able to squeeze at least 15k out of 3d mark with specs like that.

cheers on the new rig mate.^^

edit: you should go for 4ghz at least, cus that's what these're supposed to be able to do even on air. even the e6750s could get to 3.6 easy, so don't waste your new processor. gotta squeeze the balls outta these things ^^
    yeah, i plan on trying to get 4ghz out of it, but not atm. don't really care. i'll push it sum later. had a terrible driver issue and did not know which it was and it was bsoding my machine. tried for a couple of hours then just formated again. lol, fuck it. no more bsod. windows updates fine. i like the way my setup looks and will post some pics if i ever get a camera. 12,328 is my best 3dmark06 score @ stock settings. much needed upgrade. this pc is 5 times faster than my last build. blu-ray rom purchase time? lastly, this pc idle's @ 25 degrees. lol, i like that.
    Last edited by mr. nails; 02-02-2008 at 10:55 AM. Reason: spelling
    Alamo Drafthouse!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    G_G_C
    12328 3d marks is quite good considering stock speeds and your 8800 GTS.
    you should try benching your rig with spi 'cose that bech shows how fast your cpu really is.
    on the other hand i think that you should have bought a 8800GT instead of the 8800GTS.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by G_G_C View Post
    on the other hand i think that you should have bought a 8800GT instead of the 8800GTS.
    why?
    Alamo Drafthouse!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    About the X38 chipset how's that working for you?
    so far, only thing i didn't like about this build was the fact i had to manually load the gigabyte raid drivers. this board has two raid controllers. intel and gigabyte. u do not have to load drivers for the intel raid. vista set up my video & sound together on the same irq and gave me bsod's. this has been fixed. other than that everything is working beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by Detale
    I am waiting a while before taking the plunge.
    what are u waiting on? happy with current board? the x48 is out. haven't had the chance to check in on it yet, but i've heard good things.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast