Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on why you think the Music Industry has failed

grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Just want to hear some opinions on why you think the music industry has failed in recent years. CD sales are at an all time low, Originality has been crippled, the current system for how music is being distributed and marketed is no longer effective, artists are starting to see that being signed to a Major is not that lucrative for them anymore, independent record labels are caught in between big merger buys and the fact they lack deep pockets. What do you all think?

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

2. Music   -   #2
    Gish's Avatar Seeda from Hell BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    I think its more than one reason, in fact its many. the music industry have spent billions last year alone against piracy something I think many agree can not be stopped. Even the the president of the RIAA said" We know we can not stop Piracy but we can make it harder for people to get the files they want"
    The people who but buy music have seen how the Recording industry works against ts own costumer's. DRM for example drives people to download a torrent instead of at the store or on iTunes.
    Piracy is easy! I read an article in PC Mag about Movie and music downloading services and at the end of the article they had a little blurb
    "why Pirates do it best" they said its getting so easy to get free hi quality music and movies, better quality and faster than pay services.
    And another reason is if their where not phyiscal CD's or movies their would not be the need for many jobs. no middle men, no Delivery services etc. and that scares them to death so they fight a losing battle.

Their are other reasons but I did put down a few
    Last edited by Gish; 01-28-2008 at 09:57 PM.

3. Music   -   #3
    psxcite's Avatar Pimpilicious Penguin
    Evolution at work. There was once a huge market for ice deilvered directly to your home. Refrigerators changed all that. The music industry will adapt.

Ice companies went into air conditioning. The music industry better get into the digital delivery market or create a new medium.
    "Dude, where's my rar?"

4. Music   -   #4
    sleepyy's Avatar Old-Fashioned BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    greed people are not going spend £20 on a 20 track album when they can get songs for far less even if they have to pay theres tons on internet based web pages around you can purchase original album far cheap than those in the high street hmv and virgin for example i still have 100s of purchased cds even when i first used napster and kazaa but it's my records i like the most

I also have to agree fully with psxcite everybody has a method of downloading music wheather it be gigs or just single tracks
    Last edited by sleepyy; 01-29-2008 at 12:48 AM.

5. Music   -   #5
    Some very valid boths you guys have made so far. Definitely agree about how pirates get better high quality music and movies versused the paid vrsions which is lower quality. I hate iTunes for the simple fact that they use DRM and birrates are horrible compared to downloading a song or album in flac or 320 mp3. I agree the Music Industry needs to adapt to Digital Distribution. They missed the bus already and now their trying to figure out a way to catch up. Also the way they treated the customers is what turned us all a bit off. Especially with the Kazza fiasco. Sueing grandmothers for millions.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

6. Music   -   #6
    Gish's Avatar Seeda from Hell BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    if you have not read this article wow where have you been?!
    http://www.demonbaby.com/blog/2007/1...-birth-of.html

7. Music   -   #7
    Simple. Consumers are loosing respect for music. If you really liked the artist, then you would buy the album. All there is now is the top 40 main stream crap that isn't helping people. When someone goes to a show the artist is expected to heal them in a way. Not take the place of God but you know what I mean.

People go through things, and when you can be surrounded by that energy you start to forget about what is troubling you, and the healing process can begin because now you feel more positive.

When is the last time a music artist has done this for someone. It's all crap now days. Music is more based on looks, and sex, then it is truth and hope. For that they deserve what they are getting. I am a professional musician, I have played on 100's of albums worked with the very top professionals, and I say this with sadness because only 5 or 10 of those artists I played for were truly passionate about what they were doing. Money was the first thing in there head. Not hope, not helping, not saying you can make it.

You can't ecpect passion from musicians if the artist don't got it...

When the passion comes back I think people would be more convicted about stealing from someone that helps them. You wouldn't steal from your parents would you? If you would then you need some morals. Just like people need truth and passion in music now more then ever. Ultil that day comes the stealing will continue.

It's not about the cost for CD's. Would you spend 20 bucks if it could help your relationship?, get you to move on and be happy? Let you know that it's your choice to be down, or happy? Get you through one of the most hardest times in your life?. I will, so will others.

A wise man gives advice, but a wiser man learns from it and uses it. Smart people learn from others mistakes. The blessing is on the other side of your tribulation.

8. Music   -   #8
    i think it's cuz pop/mainstream has totally taken over and real music is now ignored totally...back in the 90's there was pop sure but also a lot of real music still...when the #1 song in the freaking world is by Soulja Boy then you know it's all over...the general IQ of humanity seems to be slipping little by little each year..good thing i have a huge CD collection so i don't care

9. Music   -   #9
    angryghost's Avatar Get In Ma BELLY! BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    CD's are not selling because consumers are starting to realize cheaper alternatives. Yet the large labels insist on making CD's, also because of the low margin of profit that can be gained from this, the money made is very minimal. Like you pointed out earlier grimms, most 'pay to download' places give you a wide selection, however lack the quality of music to attract a larger consumer base. The industry is stuck between both methods of selling and has to compromise one if it wants to succeed. There are less and less people buying CD's due to the cost, and the lack of quality in the online downloads hinders users to pay, this leaves a large gap in the market where people opt to "illegally" download because it gives them higher quality sound and reasonable content.

There is also been a dip in the quality of artists out there, many are based on their physical attributes (which is important), instead of the talent that is available. Lots of re-makes are being made, and the "comeback" tours are just another sign of market failure.

The demand is out there, the labels are just not giving enough supply.

10. Music   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    if you have not read this article wow where have you been?!
    http://www.demonbaby.com/blog/2007/1...-birth-of.html
    Highly recommended article. Thanks for posting the link.

Quote Originally Posted by killuminati96 View Post
    i think it's cuz pop/mainstream has totally taken over and real music is now ignored totally...back in the 90's there was pop sure but also a lot of real music still...when the #1 song in the freaking world is by Soulja Boy then you know it's all over...the general IQ of humanity seems to be slipping little by little each year..good thing i have a huge CD collection so i don't care
    Watch Zeitgeist (disagree with the first act cause i'm a chrisitian but society is failing, dumbing down due to the media, shows like American Idol and the whole reality show craze, etc) Our IQ's are decreasing in a big way. Thats why i try to watch the idiot box as least as possible and read books. Yes real music seems to be frowned upon now. It when went from salt to sugar. Also the corporations have bought out all the blocks for time at radio stations and the radio stations them self (think Don Law's Clear Channel). They own about 80% of all venues and radio stations in the united states.

Quote Originally Posted by angryghost View Post
    CD's are not selling because consumers are starting to realize cheaper alternatives. Yet the large labels insist on making CD's, also because of the low margin of profit that can be gained from this, the money made is very minimal. Like you pointed out earlier grimms, most 'pay to download' places give you a wide selection, however lack the quality of music to attract a larger consumer base. The industry is stuck between both methods of selling and has to compromise one if it wants to succeed. There are less and less people buying CD's due to the cost, and the lack of quality in the online downloads hinders users to pay, this leaves a large gap in the market where people opt to "illegally" download because it gives them higher quality sound and reasonable content.

There is also been a dip in the quality of artists out there, many are based on their physical attributes (which is important), instead of the talent that is available. Lots of re-makes are being made, and the "comeback" tours are just another sign of market failure.

The demand is out there, the labels are just not giving enough supply.
    Love your argument. We share the same views on this. I hate the whole sex and sexy image sells everything. (Even though it does) How shameful.
    Last edited by grimms; 01-29-2008 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast