Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To Usenet or not to Usenet...?

Quote Originally Posted by faenil View Post
    I need it to download wii games ^^ do I need long retention times?
    i guess, if you want to have a better option for games that you can download, plus it's not going to hurt you at all to have a better retention period provider since it would give you an ample selection of things to download, not just for downloading wii games

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by torrentguy View Post

Not sure how that helps the original poster
    It's a way of suggesting that the original poster should check with his ISP before paying money. What sometimes happens is this: Someone pops into a forum like this one, says he is new to Usenet and asks what news server to use. He is told to use Giganews, so he spends $25 every month for the next few years for an account. However, it eventually comes to light that his ISP has a contract with a decent provider for outsourced news service, perhaps even from Giganews itself, but he didn't know about it because nobody told him. So, is he upset that he is paying $25 a month for a service that his ISP is already paying for in an outsource deal? It turns out that he isn't upset about it, because he is just putting the monthly Giganews bills on his credit card, and doesn't worry much about how much debt is on the card. I really shouldn't bother with trying to help.

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    My ISP contracts with giganews, but there is a 2GB a day cap.
    Which to me, is worthless.

I find ISP Usenet service is usually poor. The retention is usually short, with poor completion. Or, as in my case, I would have to do with a limited account.

If someone ask, it'd be rare I'd suggest the use of an ISP's service.
    It's rarely worth the breath it would take.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12