Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: keeping kids out of facebook

Ok i use internet explorer and want to stop kids logging onto facebook how do i do it

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    block through hosts file (it will affect all browsers)
    http://www.overclock.net/faqs/44143-...-websites.html
    Windows uses a HOSTS (located in %systemdrive%/windows/system32/drivers/etc) file to maintain a personal list of web addresses. Any time a request is made for a URL, the HOSTS file will be checked first. If a corresponding address is found you will be directed to that IP without first consulting a DNS Server. The original intent of this file was to define where sites exist; we will use it in this context to define where they don’t exist. Lets first look at a HOSTS file entry

127.0.0.1 localhost

This is the loopback address for your machine for those cases where an application needs to reference the local machine by IP address- the loopback address will always be valid. This entry should never be changed.

Now lets add an entry to block

127.0.0.1 www.yahoo.com

We are telling our local machine that Yahoo actually exists on the local machine. Any request for www.yahoo.com will be directed to the local machine and therefore effectively blocked. You could also use the IP of another website if you wanted to be "creative".

Let’s take a closer look at a URL http://www.yahoo.com

* http:// defines the transfer protocol in this case Hyper Text Transport Protocol; this is the standard for viewing websites. Another common protocol is ftp:// for file transfer.
    * www is the host
    * facebook is the domain
    * .com is further classified as the TLD (Top Level Domain)

A HOSTS file entry will disregard the transfer protocol so it isn’t needed. However, the host does play an important role. A webmaster may choose to define a host for his/her website. “WWW” has become the universal standard for the default host. It is just as common to define a site with no host as well. This means that as far as DNS goes www.facebook.com & facebook.com are two totally different sites, even though they resolve to the same place. Because of this to effectively block the site, you must also block all hosts. This would usually mean:

Code:
    127.0.0.1 facebook.com

127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com

or

quicky
    1. Load your Internet explorer
    2. Click Tools
    3. Click Internet Options
    4. Click the Privacy tab
    5. Under the Privacy window, Click Sites
    6. Type in the site address that you want to Block and Click OK.

Note that you need to type in all forms of of a site. For example, if you add yahoo.com to your restricted site list you should write 3 entries for yahoo.com

yahoo.com
    www.yahoo.com
    http://www.yahoo.com
    Last edited by 100%; 02-02-2008 at 02:05 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    And hope they don't know how to install firefox.
    Now go away.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    couldnt work out how to do first option and second one didnt work could still log to facebook

Would it be possible for someone to make the file so i could just put it into directory i would greatly appreciate it if you could, i just dont understand what has to been done
    Last edited by The_Hunter; 02-03-2008 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    How about a program like net nanny but kids are pretty smart they'll change the password .

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Demigod's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Hunter View Post
    couldnt work out how to do first option and second one didnt work could still log to facebook

Would it be possible for someone to make the file so i could just put it into directory i would greatly appreciate it if you could, i just dont understand what has to been done
    Are you using Windows XP? If so, go to C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc.

C:/ stands in for whichever drive your Windows is installed on.

There should be a HOST file. Open it using notepad and add these entries:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1 facebook.com

127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    See attachment.
    but i suggest you open your hosts file, and see if it has any other items in there.

the attached one looks like this

Spoiler: Show

so basically you can block any site or ads from sites this way
    Last edited by 100%; 02-03-2008 at 06:33 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I'm kinnda tossed about this thread as I have 3 children that use the net , banning them from facebook on your home computer just opens up a can of worms . They'll just migrate to friends homes that have no safeguards .

I found that using the computer in a central location like the kitchen or living room is a good start , no computer in their bedrooms . Communication is a good way to explain that there's lurkers or pedophiles on the net and not all are named Suzy I'm 12 .

I used a key logger once just to show the kids Daddy see's everything , I deleted it after a few days but the thought was there . Would I read their diaries ? Of course not but you sometimes have to go to extremes to get your point across .

@Hunter , you did n't mention their ages but mine where young , 6,7,11 .

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    these are 13,17,19 its only place they go and sick of all the shit they down load onto my computer, there is another computer to use just want them off mine.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Hunter View Post
    these are 13,17,19 its only place they go and sick of all the shit they down load onto my computer, there is another computer to use just want them off mine.

You sound just like I did ! I got sick of the kids friends fuking up mine . When they discovered I could change their passwords by using the keylogger all the shit stopped .

You just need a password or utility to lock them out .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast