Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Moderators

NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Originally posted by Skillian@30 July 2003 - 19:06
    Do you feel you have to hold your tongue on contoversial topics now? I guess that would be a real disadvantage to being a mod, feeling unable to post as freely as you once did.
    At times, yes. There have been debates where I've had very strong opinions, but stayed out of, because I have too appear impartial and not take sides.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by Skillian@31 July 2003 - 00:06
    Do you feel you have to hold your tongue on contoversial topics now? I guess that would be a real disadvantage to being a mod, feeling unable to post as freely as you once did.
    If I had my way not only would 'nahan' be banned, he would also be rotting in a cell somewhere simply for being such an utterly horrific person.

However, those are my feelings, not my evaluation as a mod. As a mod, I say he's a troll who we have to watch carefully.

As far as I am concerned, I leave negative emotions at the door when I come here, because they get in the way of doing my job.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Poster
    Originally posted by NikkiD+31 July 2003 - 00:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NikkiD @ 31 July 2003 - 00:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Skillian@30 July 2003 - 19:06
    At times, yes. There have been debates where I&#39;ve had very strong opinions, but stayed out of, because I have too appear impartial and not take sides. [/b][/quote]
    That would make you a Judge.

Your job being to adjudicate on points of law (rules) and not points of fact (opinions).

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Ron's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by RPerry+31 July 2003 - 01:08--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RPerry @ 31 July 2003 - 01:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-NikkiD@30 July 2003 - 19:05
    That&#39;s actually the part I don&#39;t like. I don&#39;t want to be seen as an authority figure, as I don&#39;t see myself that way.
    Actually, NikkiD with handcuffs sounds pretty kinky to me [/b][/quote]
    :flame: :flame:

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    First thing - Even with JPaul&#39;s reputation of a venom tongue, this does seem like one of his serious moments, ala not flame bait.

Anyway - The way I see it, the moderators acknowledge and know that when they become mods, they have more power than regular members but also a greater responsibility & duty. They know what their job entails (either immediately and over time), and know what their actions can do to others, whether intentional or not. Of course, AFAIK they also have the opportunity to step down at any time if they feel they&#39;d only be damaging the place - I&#39;ve seen it in a few areas so I guess it&#39;s the same here*.

Don&#39;t ask me how I know - I was moderator/admin for a few other boards. It seems like a general thing for all mods, but it could be different for here.

*Before anyone asks, yes - I have been a fallen-from-grace moderator on one forum before, by my own request That&#39;s how I know it happens

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by RPerry+31 July 2003 - 00:08--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RPerry @ 31 July 2003 - 00:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-NikkiD@30 July 2003 - 19:05
    That&#39;s actually the part I don&#39;t like. I don&#39;t want to be seen as an authority figure, as I don&#39;t see myself that way.
    Actually, NikkiD with handcuffs sounds pretty kinky to me [/b][/quote]
    God, I wish there was a whip smilie right now...

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Ron's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by JPaul+31 July 2003 - 01:12--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul @ 31 July 2003 - 01:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by NikkiD@31 July 2003 - 00:09
    <!--QuoteBegin-Skillian
    @30 July 2003 - 19:06

At times, yes. There have been debates where I&#39;ve had very strong opinions, but stayed out of, because I have too appear impartial and not take sides.

Your job being to adjudicate on points of law (rules) and not points of fact (opinions). [/b][/quote]
    I agree with that, and hereby offer my apologies for thinking you were trying to star a flamewar.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey+31 July 2003 - 00:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 31 July 2003 - 00:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Skillian@31 July 2003 - 00:06
    If I had my way not only would &#39;nahan&#39; be banned, he would also be rotting in a cell somewhere simply for being such an utterly horrific person.

However, those are my feelings, not my evaluation as a mod. As a mod, I say he&#39;s a troll who we have to watch carefully.

As far as I am concerned, I leave negative emotions at the door when I come here, because they get in the way of doing my job. [/b][/quote]
    You use the phrase "doing my job". That implies effort.

Honest question to you and the other mods. I would appreciate an honest answer. I know I will get one.

Is it as much fun as it used to be, before you became a mod.

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by JPaul@31 July 2003 - 00:14
    Is it as much fun as it used to be, before you became a mod.
    When we don&#39;t have to moderate people, it&#39;s fine. We just spend a little more time cleanig up and helping people out.

When we start havng to deal with people who are causing problems, Board Life becomes turgid.

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Poster
    Originally posted by Ron+31 July 2003 - 00:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ron @ 31 July 2003 - 00:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by JPaul@31 July 2003 - 01:12
    Originally posted by NikkiD@31 July 2003 - 00:09
    <!--QuoteBegin-Skillian
    @30 July 2003 - 19:06

At times, yes. There have been debates where I&#39;ve had very strong opinions, but stayed out of, because I have too appear impartial and not take sides.

Your job being to adjudicate on points of law (rules) and not points of fact (opinions).
    I agree with that, and hereby offer my apologies for thinking you were trying to star a flamewar. [/b][/quote]
    Not a problem. I can see why you would think that.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast