Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheap 3TB Server What do you think?

mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    yeah, nevermind. Thought it was a standalone controller but I was wrong.

THought it was something like this without the HDDs.

I'd like to build something like the terastation instead of a regular PC with excess storage. Could it be done for less than the retail price of the 3TB terastation ($1400)?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Have you thought about going with an intel solution?

Something like this:

GA-G33-DS3R
    Celeron Processor
    6x 500GB (RAID5)
    Lian Li PC-K7B (450W)
    2x512 Generic DDR2

This should be around the same price but much nicer case, and faster array.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimRe View Post
    Have you thought about going with an intel solution?

Something like this:

GA-G33-DS3R
    Celeron Processor
    6x 500GB (RAID5)
    Lian Li PC-K7B (450W)
    2x512 Generic DDR2

This should be around the same price but much nicer case, and faster array.
    No, I haven't for good reason. Celeron?? Intel is NOT the route to travel for low budget builds. Also, why get 6x 500GB when the price/GB for 500GB disks is the same as 750GB disks?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post

I'd like to build something like the terastation instead of a regular PC with excess storage. Could it be done for less than the retail price of the 3TB terastation ($1400)?
    Hardware only is possible. But you should consider the time it would take to build/setup/secure the server.

If you definitely want to setup your own server, i would recommend to have a good PSU and a proper cooling system. 6 HDDs will generate a lot of heat, you probably don't want to cook your hardware up, no ?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by yozshura View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post

Hardware only is possible. But you should consider the time it would take to build/setup/secure the server.

If you definitely want to setup your own server, i would recommend to have a good PSU and a proper cooling system. 6 HDDs will generate a lot of heat, you probably don't want to cook your hardware up, no ?
    like I said before, I only want a portable file server. It's not going to do anything process intensive.

Back to hardware only, do you know of any guides to accomplish this? I'd imaging it's be quite difficult with no software interface to configure the server.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    I just had a thought. What about instead of buying a microatx board with 4 raid -enabled sata ports (which are not common) I just use linux's software raid? Anyone had any experience with this?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12