Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flac

Definite's Avatar RAWK BT Rep: +1
    Why do you download music in FLAC format?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    YAY FOR TRADING/! BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    flac is designed specifically for audio, so you will get much better compression without any loss in quality nor information

it is also the most widely supported lossless audio codec, the only one that is non-proprietary, has no patents, and is also open source

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    BANNED BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    i do it if there is no other format available or if i wanna rip it into a different format on my own which isnt too often but it does come up on occasion.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    this thread should be moved to the music discussion unless there is a question concerning music bittorrent trackers on its way

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    I personally dl in flac because we never know what the future holds. MP3 and other such formats are not exactly the same quality as the orignal cd. From what I read, FLAC is the closest you can get. So, if and when a newer format comes out, and there are devices that support them, I can encode them and not worry about having quality loss before I even start the process, since encoding often includes some quality loss, I will not be doubling my loss.
    That plus FLAC sounds sooo much better then MP3 on a high end system.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Demigod's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman View Post
    I personally dl in flac because we never know what the future holds. MP3 and other such formats are not exactly the same quality as the orignal cd. From what I read, FLAC is the closest you can get. So, if and when a newer format comes out, and there are devices that support them, I can encode them and not worry about having quality loss before I even start the process, since encoding often includes some quality loss, I will not be doubling my loss.
    I agree with the points you've made. However, FLAC simply takes up too much space to be efficient in my opinion. Having a CD take almost 200 more MBs is simply too much and plus, the problem is that most MP3 players don't support FLAC so you'll have to manually transcode the files at least once.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman
    From what I read, FLAC is the closest you can get.

.wavpack
    has a little better compression but slower decoding than .flac, so i guess you can call that closer to an original cd; .wavpack also handles .cue sheets a little better than .flac does by allowing you to store the cd-text data inside the .cue sheet, whereas .flac stips that data with embedded .cue sheets
    Last edited by th0r; 02-04-2008 at 02:55 AM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by Demigod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman View Post
    I agree with the points you've made. However, FLAC simply takes up too much space to be efficient in my opinion. Having a CD take almost 200 more MBs is simply too much and plus, the problem is that most MP3 players don't support FLAC so you'll have to manually transcode the files at least once.
    Luckily I don't download a whole hell of a lot. I own most of the great older stuff, and a lot of newer stuff is just... well... crap...
    I also do not own an MP3 player, simply because of the quality of mp3's. Once the storage capacity rises high enough, and its not 100's of dollars for one with good space, I will buy one and use WMA until there's a FLAC player out there, with some nice high end headphones.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Demigod
    the problem is that most MP3 players don't support FLAC so you'll have to manually transcode the files at least once.
    all ipods support apple lossless, as well as uncompressed .wav and .aiff files

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Neo's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    I download in mp3 to just listen when I'm out.

I download in FLAC format for collecting purposes. It is by far the best compression. You get the best quality possible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast