Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest Upset In Sports History?

Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Do you think the New York Giants beating of the New England Patriots in the SB is the biggest upset in sports history?

The Giants are only the second Wild Card team to win it all.

They beat a Pats team that went undefeated in regular season (and the Pats were only the second to do it; the first in over 2 decades).

They beat a Pats team that broke the single season record for points.

They beat a Pats team that had went 3 - 0 in Superbowls with coach Bill Bellichek and QB Tom Brady.

The Wild Card beat the juggernaut.

On a side note:

I guess it looks like Eli and Archie whining about going to the Chargers worked out then?
    Last edited by Busyman™; 02-04-2008 at 03:51 AM.

2. Sports Club   -   #2
    deuce6000's Avatar Go Giants!! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Absolutely it is.I think anyway i'm sure lot think different though.

3. Sports Club   -   #3
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    the biggest upset in sports history is Brazil losing the world cup final against Uruguay at home.

4. Sports Club   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I'd rank the USA hockey team beating the Ruskies higher but I'm a hockey nut . Miracle on ice they called it ?

5. Sports Club   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    the biggest upset in sports history is Brazil losing the world cup final against Uruguay at home.
    ...but Brazil wasn't some juggernaut rolling over opponents like the Pats did in the NFL.

They even had a draw in their round-robin competition.

The Pats were 18 and fucking 0 (16 - 0 regular season) and lost the big game to a 10 - 6 Wild Card team.

Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    I'd rank the USA hockey team beating the Ruskies higher but I'm a hockey nut . Miracle on ice they called it ?
    Funny enough I just watched that movie and Glory Road recently....weird.

Good fooking movies too.

I probably rank this SB higher because of what a football team has to go through in the regular season, how the Pats set scoring records, and records for TDs and such then they lose at the very end.

I mean in competitions like those, you just don't go through the gruel that an NFL football team goes through. So to come out 18 - 0 is almost unheard of.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 02-04-2008 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. Sports Club   -   #6
    deuce6000's Avatar Go Giants!! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Actually peat i agree with you.I will switch what i said now.This is the biggest upset in nfl history easily though.As far as Brazil losing i could care less.

7. Sports Club   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by deuce6000 View Post
    Actually peat i agree with you.I will switch what i said now.This is the biggest upset in nfl history easily though.As far as Brazil losing i could care less.
    Yeah one thing is that the US was sending amateurs over while other countries sent pros to the Olympics.

I want that movie with Kurt Russell as Herb Brooks on Blu-Ray.

8. Sports Club   -   #8
    kooftspc11's Avatar WWW.STFU.LOL BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    i have been a patriots fan all of my life. the culmination of the perfect season (highly unlikely to ever happen again) was completely pissed on by tom bradys inability TO DO A GODDAMN THING!!!!!

definitely the biggest upset in sports in recent times....but to me THE biggest upset ever

9. Sports Club   -   #9
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    It is great tho guys , and will have to sleep on it . The fun is reading the papers after or listening to the radio shows to digest it . It will keep sports scribes in works for weeks .As it should mind you .

10. Sports Club   -   #10
    DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Funny you ask that Bus. One of the local commentators here in NY was saying earlier that the Broadway Joe's Jets upset of the Colts in the 60's and the Amazin Mets beating the Orioles in 69 were bigger upsets. I was like, wtf?

This upset should definitely be ranked right there at the top. Here's why:

1. The Pats has set countless of team and individual records in the regular season while the Giants were a mere wild card team that everyone has basically written off.

2. Pats has many reps at the Pro Bowl while the Giants has one On paper, even I had to admit this could get lopsided early if the Giants defense were off their game just a bit.

3) Pats had enumerable players with SB experience while the Giants had three: Strahan, Toomer and some former Pat player.

They had everything going for them except for destiny. This will sting for a while for all New Englanders. I know it would pretty much devastate me if it was my team vying for perfection and immortality.
    "However awkwardly they might navigate the outside world, over the board they were killers." - NYT

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast