Thread: from ftp to linux box? help!

reese's Avatar w00t! BT Rep: +5

Urgent

ive been using linux for a few years but i am far from being a guru. I am trying to figure out a way to download directly from a FTP Dump to my linux box. The only thing i can think of is setting up some type of VNC and installing kde and a ftp client. I really want to stay away from installing a GUI or VNC/FREENX on this box. Any suggestions?
    ~ Often Imitated, Never Duplicated! ~

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    elektROnik's Avatar retired BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    You can do it with a command-line client and a mini script that connects to the ftp and runs what commands you want(copy specific directories without overwriting).
    Crontab + that_script = love

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    reese's Avatar w00t! BT Rep: +5
    hmmz any names?
    ~ Often Imitated, Never Duplicated! ~

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    elektROnik's Avatar retired BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    -the default ftp client
    -ncftp
    -gftp
    -lftp
    -cURL

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    triso's Avatar Member

Unsure

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    ive been using linux for a few years but i am far from being a guru. I am trying to figure out a way to download directly from a FTP Dump to my linux box. The only thing i can think of is setting up some type of VNC and installing kde and a ftp client. I really want to stay away from installing a GUI or VNC/FREENX on this box. Any suggestions?
    This is probably too late but most distros of Linux come with wget - The non-interactive network downloader.

Like the man says, "GNU Wget is a free utility for non-interactive download of files from the Web. It supports HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP protocols, as well as retrieval through HTTP proxies."

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    vsftpd
    proftpd

I use those on my desktop computer when transferring files around my home network.

Please note that I do not have any experience with dedicated servers/vps, so i can't help so much