Thread: Cracker

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I've been strolling down memory lane recently, revisiting old favorite movies and TV shows.

This weekend I treated myself to a marathon of the British series Cracker, starring Robbie Coltrane.
    Prior to this show Coltrane was mostly known for his comedy and he's currently probably best known as Hagrid in the Harry Potter movies but Eddie Fitgerald (the "cracker" of the title) is a role he was born to play.
    His performance was so powerful that he won three consecutive Best Actor awards from the British Academy Television Awards.

Simply put, Cracker is as good as it gets, Coltrane creates a character as flawed and complete as you'll ever see on television, the male counterpart to Helen Mirren's Jane Tennyson of Prime Suspect.

Here's the Wiki link for the show...I simply can't recommend it enough, it's absolutely superior TV.

Edit:
    Upon reflection, the second series left the greatest impression on me.
    Written by Jimmy McGovern, the three stories (To Be A Somebody, The Big Crunch and Men Should Weep) contain the most compelling plot lines and acting.
    These should really be watched in order because the development of the three main characters (Fitz, Penhaligon and Jimmy Beck) spans the three individual stories and the series is quite self-referential- without knowledge of previous events, the logic of the character's actions isn't obvious.
    Last edited by clocker; 02-05-2008 at 02:57 PM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    swrry hadnt watched ever