Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49

Thread: Vote for reformation of the WIAW thread

  1. #1
    krunktastic's Avatar Krunk User+ BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    402
    I didn't want to be the one to do this; I am a community rep, mod on a few trackers, know a couple people and am pretty busy in school right now. However, I think it's time for serious change. The WIAW thread attracts unnecessary attention to the trackers that choose to remain secret, draws potential traders and high-risk sharers to more comfortable sites, and jeopardizes the security of trackers who wish to remain anonymous. The WIAW thread attaches a subjective value to a Bittorrent tracker, not based on it's content or community or any other effective component but simply on the difficulty of acquiring invites. I truly believe that it is time, like SgtMajor said, to revoke the status quo and push for reformation or elimination of the WIAW thread, and push for a new mentality comprised of a different perspective on what makes a tracker valuable. No longer should a tracker be rated solely on the difficulty of acquiring an invite, but the quality and quantity of the content it provides, the reach and effectiveness of the staff, and the community that provides locomotion for the tracker. We as FST members should push to reform this thread to make not only invites available for all, but to eliminate the way things have been headed and direct attention to the things that matter in a tracker. This is for the benefit of all. The trackers you work so hard to be a part of will not be as alienated by FST once the subjective and meaningless "rankings" are eliminated.

    -Krunktastic

  2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    4,960
    except that quality is ALOT more subjective than rarity...

  3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    WTAW's Avatar WTAW Group BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    155
    But i would lose my JOB!!

    It has been discussed to death in the past, the WTAW thread isn't going anywhere.

    I don't want to debate on this once again

  4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    krunktastic's Avatar Krunk User+ BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    402
    Quote Originally Posted by WTAW View Post
    But i would lose my JOB!!

    It has been discussed to death in the past, the WTAW thread isn't going anywhere.

    I don't want to debate on this once again

    Your "job" is not what is debatable. Your "job" is based on a trivial topic that deserves attention whether you in particular like it or not. Neither is it up to you to decide that "rarity" should be the basis of trading. Whoever you are hiding behind that identity, you should know that there are other things such as content, community, quantity and quality of torrents, and staff that make a tracker valuable. You, of all people, should know that rarity has the least importance of all those components and yet you still lay stress on those factors. Your comment was entirely irrelevant to the topic.

    Likewise, the community is what creates a tracker, not the other way around. FST forums are no exception.

  5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,229
    You can always work as a wal-mart janitor.
    See ya in another life, brother.

  6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,366
    Krunk it will not happen. I would report all this to Reality. He and the adminstrators are the only ones who has the authority to rid it even though it is highly unlikely. I do share some of your frustrations but, what the'll probably tell you is to deal with it or do not continue to be a member of FST. I think there is some good but most traders and bad users hinder what otherwise is a very useful thread for informational purposes. But of course you always have people that take advantage of things.
    Last edited by grimms; 02-05-2008 at 03:53 AM.

    Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!





  7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Nemrod's Avatar Buffering my life BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,562
    This time I disagree with you.
    The problem is not the rating, the problem is that people donīt understand what the rating means.
    I am very clear about that, itīs stated that the level is based only on rarity. Who does not understand that, itīs his problem. Besides, the makers tell crystal clear other facts, like pre-times, speeds and others, itīs the info in brackets.
    If people donīt care about knowing that things, or if they know but prefer the challenge of getting in X site because itīs very hard, sacrificing quality for snobbery, again: itīs their problem.
    For example: I donīt deny Norbits can be an excellent tracker, but is pointed for Norwegian and Nordic users, why the hell somebody who does not understand a single word of those languages, that even has not a PAL TV could desire one invite to that tracker?. I was trying to get in it, until I was noticed about those facts, if tomorrow some friend offers me an invite to Norbits I will gently decline the offer, because although I know is an excellent site, itīs worthless for me, and I wonīt give it the use that deserves.
    And at the end, that level thing itīs not something exclusive of FST, every forum, blog, cave-site and bandits refugee in the web has the ranking, I donīt know if copied from here, but if tomorrow staff avoids it, for sure the ranking will remain.
    I wouldnīt say itīs an info issue either, because the info and the explanation are there, for whoever wants to read it, the thing is that many people simply donīt care about that. "Itīs hard, I want it... what for?... I donīt know, because I need it"
    The odious e-penis word itīs definitely a great invent.








  8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    krunktastic's Avatar Krunk User+ BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    402
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemrod View Post
    This time I disagree with you.
    The problem is not the rating, the problem is that people donīt understand what the rating means.
    I am very clear about that, itīs stated that the level is based only on rarity. Who does not understand that, itīs his problem. Besides, the makers tell crystal clear other facts, like pre-times, speeds and others, itīs the info in brackets.
    If people donīt care about knowing that things, or if they know but prefer the challenge of getting in X site because itīs very hard, sacrificing quality for snobbery, again: itīs their problem.
    For example: I donīt deny Norbits can be an excellent tracker, but is pointed for Norwegian and Nordic users, why the hell somebody who does not understand a single word of those languages, that even has not a PAL TV could desire one invite to that tracker?. I was trying to get in it, until I was noticed about those facts, if tomorrow some friend offers me an invite to Norbits I will gently decline the offer, because although I know is an excellent site, itīs worthless for me, and I wonīt give it the use that deserves.
    And at the end, that level thing itīs not something exclusive of FST, every forum, blog, cave-site and bandits refugee in the web has the ranking, I donīt know if copied from here, but if tomorrow staff avoids it, for sure the ranking will remain.
    I wouldnīt say itīs an info issue either, because the info and the explanation are there, for whoever wants to read it, the thing is that many people simply donīt care about that. "Itīs hard, I want it... what for?... I donīt know, because I need it"
    The odious e-penis word itīs definitely a great invent.
    So, concurring with you, why doesn't the WTAW thread, which particularly promotes the "worth" of trackers, promote the worth instead on a 1-10 basis and put the rarity in the brackets. The problem is not an absence of information but rather an incessant reconstruction to accurately represent the rarity of an invite. The point is that this just doesn't make sense and causes far more harm than good. I understand that traders want to trade, and I'm fine with that. Traders will be disappointed when they arrive at their "dream" trackers like FTN, FSC, and FTWR, because they assume because these trackers are hard to get then they must be worthwhile. I will never use FTN, nor FSC, nor any other tracker that is ranked about "level 7". It's a shame that this is what is important in the FST community; not sharing, but moving up the imaginary ladder.

    Quote Originally Posted by T.S.O.L. View Post
    except that quality is ALOT more subjective than rarity...
    How? Explain.

    Quote Originally Posted by grimms View Post
    Krunk it will not happen. I would report all this to Reality. He and the adminstrators are the only ones who has the authority to rid it even though it is highly unlikely. I do share some of your frustrations but, what the'll probably tell you is to deal with it or do not continue to be a member of FST. I think there is some good but most traders and bad users hinder what otherwise is a very useful thread for informational purposes. But of course you always have people that take advantage of things.
    Not to be too serious or anything, but when people want change they shouldn't sit back and wait for it. If people want to change the way invites are perceived and eliminate that imaginary bounty on your invites, this is the way to do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanka113 View Post
    You can always work as a wal-mart janitor.
    win.
    Last edited by krunktastic; 02-05-2008 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Nemrod's Avatar Buffering my life BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,562
    If the things go about getting in, the logic indicates that the primary fact to take in consideration is the difficulty level that any given site has.
    And people... what they want is get in. FST tells how difficult or how easy is that. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Last edited by Nemrod; 02-05-2008 at 04:18 AM.








  10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    4,960
    if you rank over quality, there's just gonna be lots of bitching about "OHHH Torrentleech is better, cuz its got wayy more torrents than Sct" "WHAT RU TALKING ABOUT SCT IS FASTER PRETIMES, LALALALA..."

    everyone is going to have their own opinion on how good their trackers are, and theres gonna be chaos and confusion, or alot of angry users.

    rarity on the other hand is relatively debatable. in broad terms, it goes up when the invites are closed for a long period, and goes down again when the sites opens reg.

    trust me theres no way rating 'quality' is ever gonna happen. it's just gonna be a bitchfest, except instead of 1 person bitching (you), its gonna be every single trader at fst.

    im sorry if i was offensive to you, i'm not trying to be. im just trying to get the point across to you
    Last edited by T.S.O.L.; 02-05-2008 at 04:19 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •