Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stop Giveaways?

orfik's Avatar 20th Century Boy BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiantian View Post
    Some members are essentially good users, without giveaways lots of them cannot contribute to their favorite trackers.
    I think I'm being misunderstood. I'm not suggesting we stop the practice of giving each other invitations. It's the mass, essentially blind giveaways I'm questioning. The opportunistic ones involving multiple trackers at once. I'm saying that it seems dangerous (which is why many trackers discourage or explicitly prohibit it, often ones still seen here), and could use better rules at least.

Quote Originally Posted by bikernin View Post
    whats next? close the invite section? shut down FST?
    Haha, settle down.

"Be easy, my ninja."

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    ideto's Avatar n00b BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Sure they are, and that why some guy's (like me) ask for URL profiles when have some doubts.
    Btw, there are more people scamming trades then giveaways.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    orfik's Avatar 20th Century Boy BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by ideto View Post
    Sure they are, and that why some guy's (like me) ask for URL profiles when have some doubts.
    Btw, there are more people scamming trades then giveaways.
    Define "scamming" and let me know how you came to that conclusion. I'm not doubting the fact that dishonest people concoct various schemes to profit from trades, but I think we may be talking about different things.

"Be easy, my ninja."

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    The last few giveaways I entered, had those types of requirements, and I did not post them and stated that they are easily faked, and to PM me if considered and I would provide profile links. I was chosen in a few giveaways dispite my refusal to post SS's. People do judge on other things, like past posts, rep, profiles on other trackers. I think most people just ask for SS's cause it's the 'norm' and its easy for people to do, and it keeps their account names anonymous.
    Get rid of giveaways? never, the FST invite section has come a LONG way since I joined, transitioning from a hardcore trading group, to a very helpfull generous community.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Bleacher's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    At the end of the day, all these trackers will be being "watched", it is better to have people giving their invites away to a community member rather than selling, trading or scamming people, people can request their own requirements before they give out their invites, so it is up to them.
    I say it is fine as it is. Just my thoughts.
    100/100 - Seedbox Whore

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Gothan's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    so what the begainer shall do to get some good trackers if they have no thing to trade

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    VIZFX's Avatar Looking at You! BT Rep: +2
    No one is requiring anybody to do giveaways in order to continue to be a member. Most people do give aways because the want to give something back. Don't forgot that sometime ago you where also new, and it would have been great help to get an invite. Remember, we are talking about torrent tracker invites, not a kidney.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Gish's Avatar Seeda from Hell BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman View Post
    the FST invite section has come a LONG way since I joined, transitioning from a hardcore trading group, to a very helpfull generous community.
    great point! when I was first a member their was very few give aways it was all trading invites to the highest bidder. the invite section has come along way. I for one rather have giveaways than a cut throat mentality even though there is and will always be some of that going around.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Mostly civil BT Rep: +3
    orfik,i agree that mass giveaways are dangerous as ratios and speedtests can be faked even though you maybe doing a giveaway out of goodwill or so you get into people's goodbooks(with a hidden agenda).Giveaways and trading are two different things so don't mix them up.
    I would just say it's best to "giveaway" to a really close friend of yours(like a real life friend) who's an experienced "torrenter".

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Neo's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    If it wasn't for the giveaways and having in mind that all ( or almost all trackers ) strictly forbid trading how would someone even start?

I mean, there must be someone that has to trust that guy who doesn't even have a ratio ( let alone a good one ) to show, and we all know how easy those can be forged...

I feel unconfortable giving away invites to people who have 5 posts and have registered yesterday but I won't feel uncorfotable giving it to a guy that shows that he's commited to the community.

Not everybody actually know people well enough ( specially over the internet ) to say 'I'm sure this guy will be a great member there' In the end it's all about trust. it's about giving. That's what P2P is about IMHO.

I, for one, have decided I won't trade again. I got scammed. I was breaking tracker's rules. I'm tired of that. If I give an invite just to find out it wasn't such a good option I'll just be more demanding next time. I'll look at number of posts, quality of posts and reputation.

In the end I hope that someday someone will come to me and just say "I think you are F*N material. Here. There's an invite"

Cheers!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast