Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend A 8800gt For ~$300

kooftspc11's Avatar WWW.STFU.LOL BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    what is the best 8800 card for that price range?

should i go for one of the 320mb ones or the 512?

what are the key factors i should consider in deciding which to purchase?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    svr's Avatar Ultimata Warrior BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    The cards are pretty much same unless you want passive cooling but that requires good case cooling. Get the 512MB model and pick cheapest one. If you need a certain manufacturer, EVGA makes good cards.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by svr View Post
    The cards are pretty much same unless you want passive cooling but that requires good case cooling. Get the 512MB model and pick cheapest one. If you need a certain manufacturer, EVGA makes good cards.
    with the 8800gt there really isn't much point debating which is better cus they're all reference cards. just get the 512 it isn't that much more expensive. only difference would be the OC versions and the 3rd party coolers. a few weeks ago palit's was the best bang for buck cus it was the only one with 3rd party cooler, but i think there're a few now.

OC versions aren't really worth getting imo. 8800gt can clock to 700 easy, and that's the best OCed version on the market.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    The GT is not available in a 320mb version as far as I know. You must be thinking of the GTS. The GTS is available in 320mb and 640mb with the older G80 memory. The 8800GT 512mb outperforms both of these cards.
    The newer GTS is available in 512mb with G92 memory modules. This does outperform all the the previous mentioned cards, but is a bit more expensive.
    If you are looking to spend $300 get the 8800GTS 512mb (G92).
    If you want a GT, go with the 512mb version and it can be found for slightly over $200.
    As far as which brand, performance does not really vary. There will be a difference in coolers and warranties.
    I recommend eVGA as they offer a lifetime warranty and also offer a step up program where if you are not satisfied with you can step up to the newest model and only pay the difference in MSRP. (Within a 90 day period)

Good luck with the hunt

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    i'd say the increase in price from gt to gts isn't worth it imo. right now getting an economical card like either one is basically to tide you over till the 9 series midrange cards get out. 8800s will be obsolete by then. u're better off getting the gt, which gives more bang for buck.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    That's the card I have, it's awesome.
    If you want a cheaper GT, check out the Galaxy's. They have a non OC version that is probably the cheapest GT out there, and it still performs like a GT.
    If you want lifetime warranty, step up program, etc, then get the eVGA for a couple bucks more.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    kooftspc11's Avatar WWW.STFU.LOL BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    i went with evga 8800gt

thanks everybody for your feedback

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    NP, happy gaming

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Evga 8800gt is quite a nice choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast