Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best Movies Nobody Has Heard Of

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Not unknown but not widely seen double bill:

High Fidelity (2000)In a hilarious homage to the music scene, Rob and the wacky, offbeat clerks that inhabit his store expound on the intricacies of life and song all the while trying to succeed in their adult relationships.John Cusack at his most endearing and early work from Jack Black.

Empire Records(1995)A day in the life of the employees of Empire Records. Except this is a day where everything comes to a head for a number of them facing personal crises - can they pull through together? Renee Zellweger before she was a star and a very young Liv Tyler.

Both left me totally entertained and feeling pretty good about life .Who could ask for anything more?

2. Movies & TV   -   #102
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Not unknown but not widely seen double bill:

High Fidelity (2000)...
    Empire Records(1995)...
    Both left me totally entertained and feeling pretty good about life .Who could ask for anything more?
    An excellent pairing and so true...isn't entertainment the name of the game?

Here's another-

Hollywoodland- Adrien Brody, Diane Lane and Ben Affleck.
    Titularly about the suicide(?) of the original Superman- George Reeves- this film explores the nature and price of fame. As Reeves, Ben Affleck is amazingly good and the period detail is spot on (yeah, I'm old enough to know...).

A Simple Plan- Bill Paxton, Billy Bob Thornton and Bridget Fonda.
    Nothing is simple when three small town guys find a stash of cash.
    Outside of Fargo I can't think of another movie that so beautifully integrates the weather (mostly snow) into the feel of the film- in fact, Fargo and A Simple Plan would make a great pairing.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Movies & TV   -   #103
    Nice movies with great casts clocker.
    I think that Ben Affleck,like Brendan Fraser is looked down upon more for his choice of roles than actual acting ability.Given something to work with like Alleck here or Fraser in Gods and Monsters they acquit themselves well.

Just a note,until I saw Hollywoodland I wasn't aware that the true fate of the original Man of Steel remains one of the great Hollywood mysteries.
    Another is portrayed in Auto Focus a movie dealing with the perverse life and mysterious death of 60's television icon Bob Crane of Hogan's Heroes fame.
    Worth a glimpse but the film never approaches the quality of Hollywoodland though.

4. Movies & TV   -   #104
    Man, i tried to like Gods and Monsters- tried twice, in fact- but just couldn't get engaged enough to finish it.
    I do however think your point about choices over ability is right on the money.
    It's kind of funny how some actors are easily forgiven for horrible choices (Sean Connery in The Avengers, for instance) while others are forever branded with one bad move (Gigli).

The Straight Dope has a concise summary of the circumstances of Reeves' death if you want a different perspective.

5. Movies & TV   -   #105
    hannahmanaman
    i would have to say the movie OldBoy. it was amazing

6. Movies & TV   -   #106
    HÅkÅñ SHÜkÜR™'s Avatar Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    i thinnk Man from Earth

7. Movies & TV   -   #107
    The Flying Cow's Avatar windowlicker BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Another great movie (perhaps also less known to the masses) I would recommend is Bigger Than The Sky.

Very impressive Amy Smart movie, about the real theatre scene.

Any fan of small theatre troupes should watch this.

Would you recommend that Hollywoodland flick and Smokin' Aces Idol?

Will check A Simple Plan out clocker (Fargo (the 1940's flick) pwns).

8. Movies & TV   -   #108
    Quote Originally Posted by VillageShaman View Post
    Another great movie (perhaps also less known to the masses) I would recommend is Bigger Than The Sky.
    OK then, my library has it and I've got it on reserve.

9. Movies & TV   -   #109

Would you recommend that Hollywoodland flick and Smokin' Aces Idol?

I think that anyone who appreciates a well made movie would enjoy Hollywoodland Shaman.Great acting and a plot that keeps you interested until the end.
    Smokin' Aces (you can almost tell by the title)is one of those films that you are either going to love or hate.
    Definitely a guy flick that in my opinion tries way too hard to be cool .It's overly complicated for this type of movie but it more or less comes together at the end.Don't really need to warn you but it's a lot bloodier than you'd expect.
    You'll probably like it but it would never go on your list of all-time favorite movies.

10. Movies & TV   -   #110
    This is confusing- but I'm still working my first gallon of coffee, so maybe it's just me.

A Simple Plan and Fargo are a perfect movie pairing.
    Two executions of the same idea, both very well done.
    Fargo is funnier.

A similar- albeit far less satisfying- double feature would be L.A. Confidential and Mulholland Falls.
    Again, many similar plot points but I thought Mulholland Falls sucked.
    As neo-noir homages, they both pale in comparison to Chinatown but L.A. Confidential is a very strong movie and worthy of it's rep.

Dunno why I'm rambling on about these films- they are hardly unknown- might be the lack of caffeine.

Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast