Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Some thoughts about invites to high level trackers

grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    I think the server is nearly overloaded. This forum is crowded(in a good way of course).

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    The Wanderer's Avatar e pluribus unum
    Quote Originally Posted by fOrUmAs View Post
    as i one time said TB,RevTT and TL are like 3 bigbrothers in torrent world
    Beautiful said, I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    and some sites just want as many members to make the torrents live longer, be faster and become part of a great community that already exists.

Thank you all for taking the time to post in this thread.
    Live long and prosper.

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    If security is the reason for a very selective invite system; then how do we account for public trackers like TPB; open, huge and been there longer than many private trackers? True security is a big and a very real issue, but I think we a fooling ourself if we think that such invitation system will prevent unwanted bad guy in.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    I dont think its so much security, its uncertainty.

Its not like we are the mafia here and we have moles in the police and FBI, so we cant make a quick phone call and just ask, "oh btw, is my tracker next on the list"

It also depends where the tracker owners live, if the owner is in USA or UK there is a big risk to them, if they live in Sweden (TPB) its probably minimal atm, or asia are a few other places.

and you name TL, they got most of their members a few years back, they were closed for ages, same as BCG we had 100,000 members last year, its now down to less than 50,000, but we did go out there and get them. and now we are closed.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    security is more of a concern for americans and anyone else in fear of getting sued easily for dling some music, or sharing it back. Some countries don't have to worry about this, some people just don't care. But people like me do everything we can to minimize the chance of being log'd, private sites offer at least a little more protection against this, or try to anyway.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    wow, major forum glitch, removed 8 dupe posts hehe

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Quote Originally Posted by DKre8ive1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
    For example... I keep reading about FTN here and on other forums. I am not a FTN member and I can say anything good or bad about this tracker, but it seems that there are certain members who are not so happy with what's going on there. And I am not talking only about community, I keep reading posts that say there are not many leechers there.
    Maybe it's not a general feeeling, but only a vocal minority. Maybe also other trackers have the same situation, not just FTN.
    I don't see how a person can complain about there being no leechers since there is no ratio on FTN and they only have to share it back for I think only 72 hours to fit the requirement.

On iTS (where I am member)for example, in forums you can read almost everyday posts complaining about the lack of leechers.
    Since I am not a member on there I have no idea what system they use so I can only make a suggestion that they use a time seeding ratio to help out with the lack of leechers then people will be less scared to grab a torrent.
    iTS has a 72hr seed rule. No ratios and uses a bonus system
    FTN is 36hrs I believe.
    Now go away.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    Quote Originally Posted by benchez View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DKre8ive1 View Post

I don't see how a person can complain about there being no leechers since there is no ratio on FTN and they only have to share it back for I think only 72 hours to fit the requirement.

On iTS (where I am member)for example, in forums you can read almost everyday posts complaining about the lack of leechers.
    Since I am not a member on there I have no idea what system they use so I can only make a suggestion that they use a time seeding ratio to help out with the lack of leechers then people will be less scared to grab a torrent.
    iTS has a 72hr seed rule. No ratios and uses a bonus system
    FTN is 36hrs I believe.
    yes, 36 for FTN

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    It also depends where the tracker owners live, if the owner is in USA or UK there is a big risk to them, if they live in Sweden (TPB) its probably minimal atm, or asia are a few other places.
    As someone in the US looking to start a small tracker, what is the security risk to me if I host it abroad? I was under the impression I was fully safe, but now I feel "uncertain."

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    I bet Oink thought that as well.

Server in Holland, he lives in UK.

Ok big Tracker, big profile, etc but if you get busted and you live in the USA especially, then i bet they come down hard on you.

But thats the whole problem, no one knows how hard they will come down on you, yeah the staff off elitetorrents went to jail for Starwars, but im pretty sure i read somewhere that they had the servers in their basements (not sure how true that was though tbh).

but there is a risk, you wont just get off scott free.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast