Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 days retention?

Question Mark

I recently came across this usenet provider that claims "300 day binary groups retention". It's at http://www.alibis.com/index.html . That's almost close to a year. I always thought Giganews was the best with 200 days retention, but maybe this one is better.

Is this Alibis company/service for real? Has anyone used them? Or what's the catch here? It seems to good to be true or maybe I'm not understanding this correctly and reading it wrong. Just wondering before I possibly sign up with them.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Smells like BS plus its UP TO 225 Gigs a month for one price thats whack Giganews is UNLIMITED and really 200 days

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    The catch is found on this page http://www.alibis.com/download.htm

Assuming you are downloading mostly from groups other than mp3 groups, then you essentially have a daily download limit of 4440mb/day. (using the first 4 servers on the list, for all groups and all non-adult binaries groups). That's barely enough for a single DVDR.

Also, what a pain in the a** to have to change servers for each different type of file to download...

Not worth the hassle/limitations.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    kyuuchi's Avatar <O.O> BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeBaller View Post
    The catch is found on this page http://www.alibis.com/download.htm

Assuming you are downloading mostly from groups other than mp3 groups, then you essentially have a daily download limit of 4440mb/day. (using the first 4 servers on the list, for all groups and all non-adult binaries groups). That's barely enough for a single DVDR.

Also, what a pain in the a** to have to change servers for each different type of file to download...

Not worth the hassle/limitations.

ugh... the pain of switching through servers. Honestly 200 day retention is good enough, rarely you find stuff you want is that old.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Yea, I currently use Giganews through my ISP (Comcast) and have found them to be the best. I'm allowed only 2GB/month so this is why I am looking for anothe provider that is close to Giganews, but cheaper. I have used some others including Astraweb, Easynews, Newsgroudirect. All have been pretty good for speed and completeness, but have never had the same retention as Giganews.

Usenet.com and Newsfeeds.com claim up to 150days and I was thinking of checking them out as well since they seem to be the closest 2nd place provider for retention comapred to Giganews.

This alibis service does seem kind of odd in the way they have all their servers set up. I have NEVER seen a usenet provider work like that.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    is it possible to search 200+days binaries since the maximum is 200 days
    i mean which site index 200+days

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
    Yea, I currently use Giganews through my ISP (Comcast) and have found them to be the best. I'm allowed only 2GB/month so this is why I am looking for anothe provider that is close to Giganews, but cheaper. I have used some others including Astraweb, Easynews, Newsgroudirect. All have been pretty good for speed and completeness, but have never had the same retention as Giganews.

Usenet.com and Newsfeeds.com claim up to 150days and I was thinking of checking them out as well since they seem to be the closest 2nd place provider for retention comapred to Giganews.

This alibis service does seem kind of odd in the way they have all their servers set up. I have NEVER seen a usenet provider work like that.
    I heard some good things about powerusenet.com there a reseller of Giganews with a 105 days of binary retention never tried them myself but I like to...

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    PowerUsenet sucks.
    They will throttle your connection after you reach a certain usage at peck hours. They won't officially say it, but I'm think it's around 50GBs a month. I can easily burn that buffer up in a week.

I can say some good things about them. The entire time I used them they never had an hour of down time, and their files are very complete (very limited need for pars). But the throttling kills all the pros. I'm not paying for a 12Mbps line to download at 4Mbps.

I'd recommend NewsDemon, but at $22 dollars a month it's hard to justify not paying two more dollars and getting a Giganews account with almost double the retention.
    Last edited by Broken; 02-10-2008 at 01:05 AM.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    PowerUsenet sucks.
    They will throttle your connection after you reach a certain usage at peck hours. They won't officially say it, but I'm think it's around 50GBs a month. I can easily burn that buffer up in a week.

I can say some good things about them. The entire time I used them they never had an hour of down time, and their files are very complete (very limited need for pars). But the throttling kills all the pros. I'm not paying for a 12Mbps line to download at 4Mbps.

I'd recommend NewsDemon, but at $22 dollars a month it's hard to justify not paying two more dollars and getting a Giganews account with almost double the retention.
    Yes Giganews is probably one of the best amazing server speed and completion 200 day retention just the price is bit to much for my needs ... I probably should try NewsHosting next If only Giga would offer a $15 a month unlimited with 100 day retention that would be great ...

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    atreyu187's Avatar huh.......
    Quote Originally Posted by cubbyche View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post

I heard some good things about powerusenet.com there a reseller of Giganews with a 105 days of binary retention never tried them myself but I like to...
    I use powerusenet and I get my full 5mbs all the time never lacking. I love them SSL, 105 retention, and only 15USD a month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast