Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer specs perfered for BitTorrent?

Poster BT Rep: +1
    Are there any specifications that would be best for filesharing, specifically BitTorrent? I know high disk capacity, and high disk cache, but anything else?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Not really. uTorrent is notoriously light-weight. Disk write speed may be a concern if you have an extremely fast connection. Unlikely though! Decent router would help too.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    As nalo said. You'd probably want to have a good router and a big HDD. The CPU and RAM req's are pretty low.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    As long as you don't have a 486 cpu (1993) pre windows 95 or NT you should be fine. If you have any computer that has been made since a pentium III, then you should have nothing to worry about as far as bittorrent. You probably want to have a large HDD though and 512 MB of ram minimum. For storage capacity and processing, disk cache issues.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    I use a 5 year old pc, with just 512mb ram and a very slow processor running on win2k. It never hang and never give me problem.
    edit : I use utorrent
    Last edited by TP635; 02-11-2008 at 02:00 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    DanielleD87's Avatar bunny
    each software has its min requirements. some higher then others. also, if you get in the 100megbit/s range or higher then hdd caching helps a lot.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by grimms View Post
    As long as you don't have a 486 cpu (1993) pre windows 95 or NT you should be fine. If you have any computer that has been made since a pentium III, then you should have nothing to worry about as far as bittorrent. You probably want to have a large HDD though and 512 MB of ram minimum. For storage capacity and processing, disk cache issues.
    you can use a 486 if you use rtorrent

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Ronnie Coleman's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    If you planning to keep that PC always on - consider buying great powerful PSU.
    "Do well and you will have no need for ancestors." - Voltaire (1694-1778)

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    lubu's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    Get ready to spend a lot on storage....

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    a good onboard raid-controller, u should try to use disks in raid0 mode in case u have a fast internet connection and want to do sth else with the comp while downloading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast