Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Riaa Cant Touch Me.....

-Genesis-'s Avatar Poster
    Im getting a bit worried with all this RIAA stuff going on in America. I share a hell of a lot of files (around 8Gb worth ) and im worried i may get caught. I dont live in America i live in the UK so i think im ok but can someone confirm that its only America thats being investigated.

Any help would be great, thanx.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    i recall Paul saying that the ISP he is using usually get letters from the RIAA that immediately get chucked in the bin.
    the RIAA theoretically can get you, but this isnt 100% sure especially if your not in the US.
    there is a list on TechTV.com which gives you the list of the "most wanyed" filesharers that are on target, look around and youll find it.

hope this helped,
    tralalala

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Originally posted by tralalala@31 July 2003 - 19:32
    i recall Paul saying that the ISP he is using usually get letters from the RIAA that immediately get chucked in the bin.
    the RIAA theoretically can get you, but this isnt 100% sure especially if your not in the US.
    there is a list on TechTV.com which gives you the list of the "most wanyed" filesharers that are on target, look around and youll find it.

hope this helped,
    tralalala
    have you got a link to that ... thanks

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Why don't you have look on this site http://www.eff.org/IP/P2P/riaasubpoenas/ is a site with a list of every single ip and username..etc the riaa is out to get, (NOTE: I say RIAA)

B)

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Here is the link to the TechTV.com page with the "RIAA's Most Wanted". Last update, when I checked the page, was made on July 28th. I checked the list and even found one or two names that look familiar, I don't know if I ever downloaded from them or something but I think I have seen them before.

RIAA Hit List

Don't let the "Evil Empire" scare you away, fight back! And in a galaxy, far, far away, the epic battle of Good Vs. Evil continues...

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    and we will win...

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    -Genesis-'s Avatar Poster
    Thanks for your help. So if they download a file from me they are technically breaking the law. mmmmm, ill keep that in mind if court comes later. If anyone ever finds out any information about activities in the UK please PM me. Thanx.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Renegade720 Posted on 31 July 2003 - 13:41

and we will win...
    Hell yeah! :beerchug:

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    If I'm not mistaken, the RIAA itself only covers the US, but its' individual members can act anywhere their copyrights are protected.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by Rat Faced+31 July 2003 - 20:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rat Faced @ 31 July 2003 - 20:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Genesis-@31 July 2003 - 18:21
    Im getting a bit worried with all this RIAA stuff going on in America. I share a hell of a lot of files (around 8Gb worth ) and im worried i may get caught. I dont live in America i live in the UK so i think im ok but can someone confirm that its only America thats being investigated.

Any help would be great, thanx.
    Not by the RIAA.

You can get done by the UK version, whose name escapes me...however they arent very active.

They do prosecute and make growling noises, but will not spend much money going after filesharers because their surveys show that p2p increases album sales.

They believe that filesharers get to hear music that they would not ordinarily be exposed to, and that people "try before they buy" a lot. The net result being that Albums sales rise.

This does not mean you are 100% safe in the UK, as there are other copyright holders that do not hold to this.

However, when taken together with current UK law, in which unauthorised access to your PC is, in effect, a criminal offence.....then the evidence they use to prosecute may be thrown out of court.

Added to this.

Its not illegal to download copyrighted material in the UK, it is illegal to share (upload) it....so they can do nothing if they catch you downloading a copyrighted song (unlike the USA)...they have to catch you uploading that song, without accessing your computer in any way....

I hope you can now see, why its not big news in the UK....far too expensive at the moment to go after filesharers, even if they really wanted to. [/b]

Actually, I believe that the name you&#39;re looking for is BPI - British Phonographic Industry. Recent article&#39;s here

UK P2P users may face legal action

Cut short - BPI are waiting for the EU to decide on an initiative. Even after it happens though, they&#39;ll only be prosecuting the most heavy-duty sharers.
    <!--QuoteBegin-VNUnet

The BPI has no current plans to follow the actions of the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) and sue individuals who download music from P2P sites, saying that it prefers to educate people rather than take a heavy handed approach. [/quote]
    While it does mean that the UK do not have immunity for such a threat, it does mean that the BPI&#39;s are willing to be reasonable about it.

For that alone, they&#39;ve got my respect (even though they&#39;d probably be trying to catch me )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast