Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trading better than giveaways?

21122012's Avatar Minger BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    Firstly I'm not a trader, mostly because I'm scared of being ripped off and partly because it feels better to recieve invites/give invites from/to people you know and trust.

But after giving the trading.non trading debate some thought I have come to the conclusion that giveaways are more damaging to the trackers than trading for the following reasons:

* If you were a one of the bad guys (RIAA, MPAA etc) trying to gain access to private sites to gather evidence, surely the easiest way would just be to request a site or wait for a generous giveaway?

* If you have built up a good ratio at a site that you love and would hate to lose by inviting a cheater, wouldn't the best thing to do for your own sake and for the sake of the site, be to invite a similar person -ie someone that has been awarded an invite for their efforts? Isn't the trader much more likely to be someone you can trust to bring into the site?

Like I said I'm not a trader but the more I think about these people giving away invites and accounts to just about anyone who provides a couple of screenshots (very easy to simply take someone elses screenshots by the way, especially as the details are allways blocked out) the more I think that trading may be the more secure way to get the right people into the right sites!

Maybe I'm totally worng, would like to hear your thoughts on this.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    Quote Originally Posted by 21122012 View Post

* If you were a one of the bad guys (RIAA, MPAA etc) trying to gain access to private sites to gather evidence, surely the easiest way would just be to request a site or wait for a generous giveaway?
    RIAA, MIPAA? lol

if they want an invite do u REALLY think they will ask for an invite? They are the people with money...and sad but true "money is everything" in todays world. Take # of invite selling over ebay for example.

* If you have built up a good ratio at a site that you love and would hate to lose by inviting a cheater, wouldn't the best thing to do for your own sake and for the sake of the site, be to invite a similar person -ie someone that has been awarded an invite for their efforts? Isn't the trader much more likely to be someone you can trust to bring into the site?
    i have to disagree again.

I agree that [public] giveaway doesn't guarantee cheat free but what gurantees cheat free user anyway? Not trading for sure. In fact, if you want to be 100% safe from inviting a cheater or a bad user, have my advice and don't invite anyone...not even real life friends.

Moreover...

1. Almost all tracker discourage trading while only few discourage giveaways.

2. If you are trading for "community" as FSC, wheel or wabbit...changes are you WILL get caught.

3. What guarantees you that your trade partner won't trade/ sell his account/ invite and risk you further? Correct me if i am wrong but when u trade you have likely rank offers as: #1, #2, and so on....i.e. you have very limited choice. However, if you are giving away, you at least have choice to give it to a person who you precieve as right. Yes, the person your though as right might not be as you thought but that's not the point. The point is: with trading you have very few choice but with giveaway you have bunch.

4. The person you might be trading with already might have had an account.

5. and the worst part: scamming comes with trading.

Disclaimer: excludes smart trader...if there is such a thing as smart trading.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    BlueLabel's Avatar everybody jump BT Rep: +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65
    they can get invite by trade too, they will do anything to fulfill their purpose
    as the guy above my already said, they are the one with the money

Quote Originally Posted by squirr3l View Post
    "money is everything"
    are you for sell??
    Last edited by BlueLabel; 02-11-2008 at 09:28 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    i dont think giveaways. trading etc is the real problem for trackers.

its doing it on public sites that is the problem.

Most trackers have external invite threads in their forums, not all but some.

but this means that you can check the persons history on that site, because they posted on that site saying they wanted an invite.

in public sites, they could say they are anyone like you said.

and from the trackers point of view, hopefully by inviting PU or above on site A:, you bring a good user to your site.

Doing it on a public site means you could be bringing anyone in.

My view on this, if you cant giveaway, and you cant trade, then whats the point in giving your members invites to start with.

I would rather have a member thats been using trackers for years, who is on 5-10 sites be brought into mine with an invite, than someones personal friend that has never used torrents before and has no clue how the ratio system and hit and runs work.

but on the other side of the coin, trackers might think you are stealing their members for your site, so its a catch 22 situation.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelabel View Post

"money is everything"
    are you for sell??
    not me but someone from my family "Sciuridae"

http://www.monkeys-for-sale.com/pet-...-for-sale.html

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    BlueLabel's Avatar everybody jump BT Rep: +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65
    to expensive
    I thought your family would be much cheeper

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    to expensive
    I thought your family would be much cheeper
    you thought wrong

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    SenorBubbz's Avatar /¨_¨°.-.§.-.°¨_¨\ BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35

are you for sell??
    not me but someone from my family "Sciuridae"

http://www.monkeys-for-sale.com/pet-...-for-sale.html
    o hai

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Maybe I'm totally worng, would like to hear your thoughts on this.
    in the end there are only two kinds of people:

1. those who respect tracker rules.

2. those who don't.

it's up to you to decide which path to take.

1. may lead you to free invites to great trackers without even asking for them.

2. may get you scammed, banned, disabled or a hidden temporary membership.

every single tracker, even those who are extremely hard to get, needs new members from time to time. some need more, some need less.

private bittorrent trackers have rules. without those rules an efficient, well-oiled sharing community could not exist.

be a part of it, respect the rules of those communities and enjoy filesharing

or

break rules, try to sneak in, hide and hope they won't catch you.

your choice.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Grind$oFine's Avatar get n3rd3d BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    If you want to be completely safe.. don't give out your invites to people you don't know.

That's one thing experience will teach you.
    It's also written in most sites rules... what a coincidence.

I've done my share of giveaways and I have to tell you, in most cases it wasn't worth it. People rarely use the tracker, they get banned, they don't follow rules, and in result, I rarely ever give my invites anymore. Sometimes if someone makes a request and I find it genuine, I'll help them out, but even that has grown even more rare.

It's unfortunate because I think many people have benefited from receiving invites from someone they didn't know at one point, but there are so many people that take advantage of it, and it's ruining the system.

So overall my recommendation, if you still want to give invites out is to:
    a.) Only give invites out to friends or people you truly trust.
    b.) Fill genuine requests, ask for info, profile links, reasons for the request, etc. You can never be too thorough. And if the person really wants the invite, they'll definitely comply.
    c.) Use invite forums on other private torrent sites that allow it to members with a decent ratio, a good number of posts, possibly someone who donates, etc. And don't be afraid to check their username on other sites.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast