Thread: DVD drive not reading DVD's

Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    but it reads cd's just fine, but no dvd. It wont read any dvd, game, movie, nothing. I put the drive in another pc, and it works fine, so the dvd burner itself appears to be ok. What would cause this issue with a computer? It win xp pro, with an ASUS drw-1814bl. The drive was just purchased.

any guesses as to what windows needs? No dvd burner or reader is working in this pc, but they will all read CD's, like music.

This pc does not like dvd for some reason. Any clues before I reinstall it?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    I have just read a thread on another forum about a similar problem I think it was a firmware issue. See if you can find a firmware upgrade for it. Also Computer specs might help a bit too. I will check back in a bit, I gtg ATM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    pc specs are p4 1.9ghz, 2gb ram, windows xp pro, and not much else to really speak of.

we already updated the firmware from asus site to the newest one, cuz I also thought that.

As I type this, my brother is already reloading it because the whole machine started to act funny, and icons vanished.

I think the fresh windows install is the best method here, because of other issues this machine is having. I guess I pre-maturely decided to ask for help here lol.

I was thinking ATAPI or ASPI drivers, but nonetheless, a fresh windows install surely wont hurt, and if the DVD drive dont work afterwards, a RMA will be in order. Sorry to ask a question and not follow through.
    Thanks for your reply tho

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    No probs, never be sorry for asking a question. I cant seem to find where I read a problem like this with an Asus Drive recently. Perhaps downgrading the firmware?? Na screw it RMa it

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    well, just to make this thread complete, I will post what we found. We re-installed it (win xp pro) and there was no change, the dvd drive wouldnt read things properly. It read the XP install disc and installed XP just fine, but after getting XP up and running, it wouldnt read hardly any disc's at all. We switched the IDE cables, putting the DVD drive on the IDE channel 1 and the hard drive on channel 2, and the DVD drive works fine, but the HDD wont load.

The secondary IDE channel is almost gone on this mobo. That was the problem the whole time. At least this is the way it appears to be. Its an older mobo, an ASUS p4pe
    Last edited by Mïcrösöül°V³; 02-12-2008 at 02:47 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Did you drop the DVD drive for any reason? The lens might be dirty, or the height of the lens might be skewed. Different lens heights are able to read different media sometimes. Crack open the drive and there might be a dial that will allow you to adjust the height of the lens. But only do this as a last resort!