Thread: Wma Vs Mp3

Poster
    Wich one is better?

I read in a magazine that it has better Quality than MP3 and that WMA was going to replace MP3. It's that true 'cuz i ripped some CDs with WinMediaPlayer in WMA format and it wasn't as good as they say.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    i dont think it will replace mp3

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    yeah cause i definatly won't change..

i'm using my apple ipod (10gb) and only supports mp3 and acc

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Byte for byte, WMA compression does yield a higher quality audio file, however, it will never replace mp3.

There are many compression formats which can claim the above, and most claim to be the successor to mp3, however, none of them are widely used.

Personally, I think ogg vorbis will be the format of the future... its very well designed, high quality, completely open, and has a number of libraries already written, so integrating it into a media player is relatively easy.

There is no question that wma is a better format as far as compression is concerned, and perhaps its the format of tomorrow (not likely given the licensing costs), but mp3 is still definitely the format of today.

Scott

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    ...and when was the last time you saw a .wma player in the store?

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Thanks for the response,

I saw a Pioneer Car Radio and said it supported WMA and there was a little explanation below saying that stuff i told you in the beggining, thats the source of all my doubts ...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    WMA is supported, definately not as much as mp3 by any means. It also can be

better than mp3, in my case i can fit more WMA songs on my portable mp3 player

than i can mp3's because my mp3 player which is an MPIO DMG player supports it.

I think i can hold approx. 40% more songs. (I think Im right) This can be alot

when you only have 256 MB of memory. Im still experimenting with a program

that can convert mp3's to wma's.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    .wma will never be as big as mp3 cus it was created by microsoft. right now windwos media player is the only program that offers wma. support...
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    my winamp plays them WMA files pretty damn well thank you very much, and yes, i like ducks

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    I meant in terms of ripping, buring, playing etc. etc... not just playing.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.