Thread: emule help

Poster BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    1.What's up with all those emule mods ? WHat's leech mod ? What are main differences since eveyone proposes diff mod as the best ?
    2.Why emule sucks ? I can't dl anything, all my DLs are at zero ?
    3.Why most of the server suck and what are the best ones ?
    4.Is it worth of all the pain to use emule ?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    It takes a little effort to get it set up nicely. But once you do, if you know where to find the releases and which servers to join etc. Then it can have good speeds and the content is massice. I will see if I can copy/paste the relevant parts of some guide somewhere. :
    Now go away.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Reading 3 out of 4 stickes should be a great start.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    @benchez
    it would be nice and
    minuteman id didn't help.

Any help is good guys!
    The most important is best mod ? Everyone says different thing, so annoying.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Read here:
    http://forum.emule-project.net/index.php?showforum=76
    You'll find the answer to all your questions.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    1.What's up with all those emule mods?
    Well the mods usually have features that the vanilla client does not have. Or they changed something because they think this will improve performance. There are also Mods with a sophisticated anti-leecher system and similar. A mod is not essential but it can improve your experience; however a bad mod can also worsen your and also other client's performance if they are not well done, so you should pick them wisely if you use a modification. Perhaps for the start, the usual mule is not a bad idea.

WHat's leech mod ?
    That's a modification that tries to cheat others and/or freeload at another's cost. However, because eMule uses its credit system, leeching is usually very inefficient. If a Mule recognized a person leeches again and again but never has some slot for itself, it will block this person. This means, the slow transfers that you have in the beginning with eMule, will never improve. Even most ambitious leechers/cheaters stopped leeching only because it's slow..

2.Why emule sucks ? I can't dl anything, all my DLs are at zero ?
    This is the nature of eMule: There are lots of files, also older ones will usually be available over a great period of time. But this can only be achieved by sending out great volume of files through the typically slow Uplines (because of most ISP's infrastructure). Because of this, if you fire up eMule you will first be queued at mostly every person, the queue position can be reviewed by expanding the source list of a file (QR #).

If you are in position 0, then it will start sending you data. Before that, you will slowly climb up the waiting list, after the node has finished another request your QR will decrease. But with uploading to this client you can boost up the waiting list, because your score will improve on the side of the uploading person - time will get you further, giving this client will do the same, so the best way for a good score on its list is to upload and wait, and if you have a good score your QR will fall and you will get data sent to you ; )

In the end, the problem is that with the small upload you could only drop older files or have most people waiting.
    eMule chose to have a network with bigger momentum, but good archiving/availability of files.

3.Why most of the server suck and what are the best ones ?
    Well there are spammers that set up servers - there are representants of the MAFIAA that set up servers - and so on.. you can block automatical server-update through one server, so if you are connected to a good server it will not hand you over all the crap servers. This was a very good feature in the past so that you always had a good overview of all servers available, but today with the spam it's problematic. There are lists out there with approved eD2k-server.met files, this is a good way to have a proper server list I guess. Of course you can also use KAD additionally to servers.

4.Is it worth of all the pain to use emule ?
    I think so - you should run eMule 24/7 and with a sensible upload, then it will be a great ressource for all kinds of files!

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Thanks for replying, just wanted to ask how do I check what I'm in queue in emule extreme ? And how does it function if I up more I'll get faster in queue ??? Don't get it, what's that system like ? How can I see stats of it ?

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Thanks for replying, just wanted to ask how do I check what I'm in queue in emule extreme ? And how does it function if I up more I'll get faster in queue ??? Don't get it, what's that system like ? How can I see stats of it ?
    Well I never used extreme Mod in the last time, but double-clicking the file should expand the the view and display sources. There is nicknames, how much they got themselves, and then also the QR: # right to that. Luckily your mod also colors the QR, so green means it improved since starting, red means it got worse since asking for the first time and black is unchanged.

And yes if you upload more to another eMule client, it will improve downloading from that client. Every client has a list on its side, in which it manages everybody asking, which in eMule are often a few hundred/ thousand. Now if you came new your score is low, and while you are waiting your score improves. But if the client that you are waiting to download from also receives data from you, it will improve your score faster than for other waiting clients, and will privilege you so you can climb up faster. The developers did this to fight leeching, but at the same time they say eMule is file-sharing not file-trading, so eMule always also tries to send out data to people that aren't giving the client itself, which is needed for rare files where only 6 complete sources are out there, and you are the one that wants the file, of course others need to send to you without that you could send something to them (in most cases if you don't have a file they'd like). So it also takes time, who waits for hours is also not leeching the crap out of the network usually, and that's how you can get rare files.

More about the queue rating/score can be found in eMule help:
    http://www.emule-project.net/home/pe...&rm=show_topic

You can't review the credits that you got for uploading to another client, because it's saved on his side. If they wouldn't do it this way, the leechers would screw their local mule and might get a better rating - but if the counterpart saves it the cheaters usually can't do anything to fake the opinion of others towards them. So you can't see how many credits you earned directly, but of course you can guess.