Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Filesharing Apps

shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    This thread is for people who enjoy using linux and have tried filesharing apps that may be useful to other linux users. If you do not like linux or have something negative to post regarding it, then please dont do so in this thread.

If you use linux on a regular basis what file sharing apps have you tried or currently use that is somewhat as good as k-lite? Please post the app name, the distro of linux you use, and a link to the app if you like.

Please do not post any windows filesharing apps that can be run under "wine" (windows emulator)
    Although wine works for some, it is unstable and for the most part pertains to windows apps not linux.

So far I have used the edonkey2000 client for linux http://www.edonkey2000.com/downloads.html

This app needs a core to function and you can use the command line client (boring for filesharing) or a gtk gui frontend client which is somewhat better.

this client is not that good, I would prefer something a lot better and the servers at most have about 200,000 users on at one time which does not compare to kazaa's 3 million + users online at any given time. the queue times take a while and there arent too many sources for particular files.

Btw has anyone used bittorent on linux?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Ya, I use bittorrent on linux. Works the same as in windows, just wish i could figure out how to get it so the bittorrent client will start up when I click on a torrent link in Firebird.

Here's a good p2p app found here. It's pretty cool. You can use telnet, WEB server, and a gui to connect. It can currently connect to almost every p2p network (eDonkey, Soulseek, Fasttrack, Gnutella, Open Napster, Direct Connect, BitTorrent).

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    zeropaid have used a nice list of linux apps you might wanna give a go here.

i have used soulseek in linux from here it was kinda slow to use mainly because it is written in python so its needs to be interperated. it did have a few extra features that the windows version is missing.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    where can i download linux with fast connectiong...

i've searched kazaa and it doesnt have the new verisons or it has no sources

i tried going to mandrake's website and using there ftp but each file takes me 3 hours and then it froze in the middle each time.. the closest i got was 46mins...

redhat takes me like 90hours

and im using dsl.... anywhere i can get one at a faster rate? any wares site have it?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lol wares sites for linux

linuxiso they have fast mirrors for most distros

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Soul814@3 August 2003 - 17:23
    where can i download linux with fast connectiong...

i've searched kazaa and it doesnt have the new verisons or it has no sources

i tried going to mandrake's website and using there ftp but each file takes me 3 hours and then it froze in the middle each time.. the closest i got was 46mins...

redhat takes me like 90hours

and im using dsl.... anywhere i can get one at a faster rate? any wares site have it?
    Your best bet is where 4play said. they have a pretty extensive list of distros.

Btw

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    whats the difference i never used linux before... so i wanna try it out

the ppc? n the i586?

i586 Release: 2003-03-25
    Mandrake - Mandrake 9.1 CD 1 Install 650MB MD5SUM
    Mandrake - Mandrake 9.1 CD 2 Extras 650MB MD5SUM
    Mandrake - Mandrake 9.1 CD 3 Internationalization 650MB MD5SUM

PPC Release: 2003-04-08
    Mandrake - Mandrake 9.1 PPC CD 1 699MB MD5SUM
    Mandrake - Mandrake 9.1 PPC CD 2 697MB MD5SUM
    Mandrake - Mandrake 9.1 PPC CD 3 699MB MD5SUM

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Soul814@3 August 2003 - 18:25
    whats the difference i never used linux before... so i wanna try it out

the ppc? n the i586?

i586 Release: 2003-03-25
      Mandrake - Mandrake 9.1 CD 1 Install 650MB MD5SUM 
      Mandrake - Mandrake 9.1 CD 2 Extras 650MB MD5SUM 
      Mandrake - Mandrake 9.1 CD 3 Internationalization 650MB MD5SUM 

PPC Release: 2003-04-08
      Mandrake - Mandrake 9.1 PPC CD 1 699MB MD5SUM 
      Mandrake - Mandrake 9.1 PPC CD 2 697MB MD5SUM 
      Mandrake - Mandrake 9.1 PPC CD 3 699MB MD5SUM
    No offense but if you want to know about linux then just start a topic. Please dont post unrelated questions regarding linux if its not related to p2p linux apps. I would be happy to give you a few links if you want to learn linux, just pm me.

Well, I guess theres no sense in that so Ill at least answer that.
    You need to see what kind of architecture you have. If you have an older intel based system its probably i386, not so old i586, new i686. When it comes to the iso images just go ahead and download those you only need the first two but If you install a bunch of packages then youll need the third as well. Mandrake is pretty straight forward installation just follow the instructions. I dont use it though because it tries to install a boot loader by default and I prefer to use a boot disk floppy.

Hope that helped.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    nooo faster places? damn that sucks im going at 2kb w/ 99hrs left... wish i could pause the dl or make ti quicker...

does netpumper work w/ dis...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    @Soul814 you thread hijacker you. the different versions are for different cpu architectures. you will want the i586 version.

ok back on topic, I have been highly recommended gift. it is meant to be very easy to use and looks pretty nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast