Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Is A Good Gameworld Post

Lately there have been a lot of posts in gameworld that make it very hard to answer the question because there is no information in the post. So I though i would leave a few things here for newcomers to maybe stumble upon before posting.

1. The title and Subject

There is an entire thread Here about topics for threads.

In short form the title and subject should outline what you need help with or want to talk about.

Good example
    How to use files
    .bin and .cue
    That is a good topic, we know what you are talking about. And someone will open it up and answer you.

Bad Example
    wont work
      topic says it all.
    Obvious why that is bad. The topic does not say it all, and people are more likely to skip over it.

2. The body

The body does not have to be a perfect essay, point form is even good. But it does need to contain all information that could be important. If you want someone to take the time to help you out, take the time and put together a couple of understandable sentences.

Good Example
    I just downloaded "this game" the filename is "this_game.bin.exe" it is 650MB. When i double click on it it opens a command prompt and then it closes. I got it from verified, so it should be a real file, but i do not know how to open it, or what to do with it.
    This is a good post because for one it tells us the filename, very important. and secondly it tells us what you have tried.

Bad example

I downloaded "this game" is is an executable. I cant get it to work.

WTF???
    In this case we know nothing about the file, or what you have done.

3. relevant information

Add whatever is relevant, and all that is, such as
    - system specs
    - size of file
    - where you got it from
    - Your level of experience
    - Anything else that may help

4. Research

It is not necessary to do an extreme amount of research, if everyone did we would have nothing to do. However a quick search of the forum, and maybe even a google search would be nice. If you cannot find the complete answer to your question, let us know what you did find.

5. Manners and miscellaneous

- Always follow the Board rules
    - Try and post in the correct place. Especially game requests, we all know that they get less views however, if the topic is stated properly the right person should see it. There are some gray areas, and perhaps a mod can clear some up. For example: A question about software to burn games with? Although technically belongs in softwareworld, more replies in gameworld.
    - At least follow peoples suggestions before saying they are wrong.
    - Acronyms are fine until it gets ridiculous and starts too look like hieroglyphics.

Everyone on this board is happy to help out, but we do not know everything. We need some specific info. Help us help you and it will make the board experience much better for you, and cut down on flames.

It is late and I know I left a tonne of stuff out, so please feel free to add on other important points.

Edit: Also spam posting is not necessary, most people on here look through all worlds almost daily if not more. It is not necessary to put things on more than on place.

Also bumping: there are good bumps and bad bumps.

Good = you post late at night, log back on the next day. Only 3 views and it has fallen off the board. I personally feel that this is ok to bump.

Bad bump = post midday, 40 views no replies.

BUMP
    Please anyone, come one no one knows.

2. Games   -   #2
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Putting an absurd amount of asterisks in a topic is a bad idea.

About bumping: This forum doesn't move fast enough to warrant bumping, in my opinion. I'm on other boards that, after an hour, your post can sink to page seven. Rarely, even after sleeping and waking up and eating, will I find a board on this forum that has over two pages of new topics (the Lounge being the one exception, with three).

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

3. Games   -   #3
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@1 August 2003 - 08:36
    Putting an absurd amount of asterisks in a topic is a bad idea.

Very good point I meant to include that. Also another I forgot. Do not use caps lock, drives me (and many others) nuts.

About bumping: This forum doesn't move fast enough to warrant bumping, in my opinion. I'm on other boards that, after an hour, your post can sink to page seven. Rarely, even after sleeping and waking up and eating, will I find a board on this forum that has over two pages of new topics (the Lounge being the one exception, with three).
    Good point, lets just leave to a "if" statment.

IF your post is bumped off page one, without a fair amount of viewing, and it is one that is worth people looking at, then *a BUMP is acceptable.

* where A=1

4. Games   -   #4
    Poster
    you think you own the k-lite board dont you?

5. Games   -   #5
    Originally posted by abigspidermonkey@1 August 2003 - 18:25
    Are you serious?
    I mean most forums have a guide on how to post topics. I noticed that this board did not. I am intrested in helping people, but when there is no information on what they need it becomes very hard to do so. At the times this post was creates there were various posts with people that were trying to help, but with the lack of information it was very hard.

but no you are right, I am the owner of this board. I am always the one yelling at people.
    This is starting to get sad, you try and do something semi productive (my post may not have been, but i thought that it was at the time) and still someone comes along to try and start an argument.

6. Games   -   #6
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Hey the astericks are no big deal. bawa is really the only one doing it and for the most part I like that his topics don't look like everyone elses.
    The astericks are different and so is his content.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. Games   -   #7
    Originally posted by toddiscool@1 August 2003 - 12:01
    This is starting to get sad, you try and do something semi productive (my post may not have been, but i thought that it was at the time) and still someone comes along to try and start an argument.
    It's normal for this to happen. n00bs that don't know what they're talking about can turn a good post into a flame war. Don't worry about it.

And great guide. Unless someone already made something like this, this should be pinned.

8. Games   -   #8
    Originally posted by slammy_dunken@1 August 2003 - 19:11
    And great guide. Unless someone already made something like this, this should be pinned.
    I checked around and did not see one, meant to put that original post, so i will say it now.

Sorry if someone did this alreaddy, did not mean to step on anyones toes.

9. Games   -   #9
    Poster
    I think a post like this can help many people. I see the exact questions this guy talks about and it only delays the person with the problem.

Pin this perhaps?

10. Games   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by abigspidermonkey@1 August 2003 - 18:25
    Another intelligent post from the person who thinks zonealarm is the best anti-virus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast