Thread: "error Deleting File Or Folder" It Is Being Used

Every time i try to delete or move this certain file "Acid House" i get this error deleting file or folder it is being used by another person or program. close any programs that might be using it and try again.

What can do to fix this?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    try to boot into safe mode and del it

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Try opening another program instead. It's held in memory by the last program you opened it with. Wrenching it out in safe mode isn't neccesary.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    skelley521's Avatar puter ghost
    1st--what type of file is it??? (folder, avi??)
    2nd-- what operating system are you running???

I would try to give more help if I had more information, so you may try to look at Doug Knox's Site or Kelly's Korner (XP) for any help.

More info = More help,
    Steve

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    This link explains the problem and offers a regedit fix: Click Here

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    1) make sure you are offline (don't want people to attack now)

2) press CTRL+ALT+Delete and close every thing YOU (not the system) YOU are running, it should have your user name. EXPECT Explore.exe and taskmgr.exe.

now close taskmgr.exe

now try to delete it, if it still will not move try this

go to RUN > Type "regedit" (without "") > Click "My Computer" > then go to EDIT > FIND (or Ctrl+F3) > then type the folder name.

WARNING:: YOU CAN NOT RESTORE FILES YOU REMOVE FROM YOUR "regedit" SO MAKE SURE IT IS THAT FILE.

hope that helped

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    format c: would probably work too. I'm surprised no one has suggested that yet.

Fight it, don't work with it or try to understand it, just fight it.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    I dont know if this applies to you, but a lot of times people will try to delete something out of their shared folder and get the same message. Most of the times you would assume that its because someone is downloading the file. But thats not the case at all. If you delete the file and then close your shared folder right after you delete it then most of the times you wont get the error. The reason for that is because when launching your shared folder from your desktop or within kazaa lite, its launched as an app instead of a regular file folder and thus makes all the files become in use by your shared folder.

Just a tip/thought

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Thanks all for the replies. i'm on winxp pro and darth sushi's link did the trick without me having to reboot. I backed up the registry key deleted the avi divx file and now can restore it and do this next time this occurs.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    cut and paste straight to recycle bin works for me