Thread: Graphics Card?

orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    I am in the process of putting together a wish list on Newegg of a gaming computer I will eventually buy when the funds are accessible. I am set on the processor, motherboard and RAM so do not suggest any different of those unless there is a real reason for me to spend the extra money. What I really want help with is a graphics card that is hopefully around $200. If I would get a real performance increase by going to $300, then maybe. However I would really like to keep the graphics card around $200. (PCI XPRESS x16 by the way) I want to be able to play games like Unreal Tournament 3 on the highest settings with good frame rates, etc. Motherboard , Processor, RAM(x2). I was actually thinking about THIS card. Let me know what you guys think, I would appreciate any second opinions/advice etc. Thanks in advance!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    That's exactly the same vid card I just ordered...excellent bang for the buck, I'd say.

Going with an AM2 platform, not so much.
    I'd really (really, really, really) recommend you investigate an Intel setup.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I was hoping you would reply clocker. Anyways, I would like an Intel setup, but I just do not have the money for it. Do you have a processor/motherboard combo to suggest? And is that graphics card pretty good for playing graphically-intense games?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    svr's Avatar Ultimata Warrior BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    That GPU is a beast for that price range. But I would search for some card with better cooling just because I like silent PC and low temps. If you dont care for that, go for this GPU.

I too recommend intel setup. Perhaps Abit IP35-E and C2D E4600.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=ABIT%2bIP35-E
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...5032&Tpk=E4600

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    This chip.

This motherboard.

This RAM.
    Only $375...just about what your first rig would be and it'll blow the AMD away.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    PBT42's Avatar der iz no can BT Rep: +1
    Thats the G-Card that PBT is going to buy soon
    No PMs unless I know you or have business with you

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    kooftspc11's Avatar WWW.STFU.LOL BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    i just bought that card last week after it was recommended to me several times

this thread https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-har...0gt-300-275321

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I've had that card for a few weeks now, it's incredible. Can get some great clock speeds with it as well. I threw an Accelero S1 cooler on mine and run it passively and it never gets higher than 60*c.
    The stock fan is not all that loud but when it revs up to 100% it's definitely noticeable.

And those parts clocker recommended are excellent as well. If you want a few extra options like Raid and Firewire, go with the DS3R as opposed to the DS3L, either ones offers great value though.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    This chip.

This motherboard.

This RAM.
    Only $375...just about what your first rig would be and it'll blow the AMD away.
    Why do I need the G-Skill RAM? Does it actually give better performance?

I do like the all-solid capacitor feature. No electrolyte bursts! Very nice! :]

I wish they would stop putting legacy ports on motherboards, they are so ugly looking.
    Last edited by orcutt989; 02-16-2008 at 06:47 PM.