Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: Mods - Please stop commenting then locking threads

  1. #1
    Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    I don't want to be found.
    Posts
    447
    This is the sort of thing I am talking about:

    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bit...g-278891/page8

    It really annoys me when staff here post a controversial comment in a thread and then lock the thread so that no-one can reply.

    This is a discussion forum, so why lock threads members are still actively using? I can understand it if members are just flaming each other, but a lot of the time threads are locked simply because a staff member holds a different opinion to the ones being aired in a thread. I would have thought that the criteria for a good forum was that a wide variety of opinions are aired so that members can hear all sides of any discussion.

    I have no problem with staff here posting their opinions in any thread, I think it is healthy but posting and then 'getting the last word' by closing the thread really gets on my nerves.

    IMO the only threads that need closing are those that are getting too heated or break FST rules, I can't see any other valid reason for locking threads in this section.

  2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    On an island
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,472
    I agree wholeheartedly. It annoys me constantly when I see it.

    And BTW this one, if anything, should be moved to "Everything Related to the Board", not locked after some mod comments.

    on a different note, the thread used as an example entitled locking, because the regular spammers brought it way out of topic, so maybe 1 in 10 post was actually needed. I can think of several others that did not.

    It would be better to hand out infringements for spamming rather than locking in most cases.
    Last edited by Blue_Skies; 02-20-2008 at 06:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    In the old days, if you misbehaved on a tracker, you got disabled, or worse, IP banned.

    Nowadays, there are more trackers than there are members, so if your tracker misbehaves, they get bookmark removed, or worse, URL deleted.

  3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    SAM's Avatar Fst philosopher BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,942
    I agree with you.they shouldn't do that
    but i guess they scared to confront us

    For Serving Community



  4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Skizo will come and have the last say and then lock this thread aswell.

  5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CO
    Age
    40
    Posts
    29,632
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM View Post
    I agree with you.they shouldn't do that
    but i guess they scared to confront us
    Get real. No one is scared to confront you.

    I also didn't post that and then lock the thread. As noted, it was locked by KFlint, though not sure why; he'll need to respond to that point.

    This is as lenient of a forum as I've ever been on and the amount of threads where are locked is really fairly slim. Most often, threads are locked when a problem has been sorted. i.e. - a member wants to know a trackers IRC info, it is posted, thread is locked.

    Granted, there are more threads locked in the Bittorrent related sections than any others as members just cannot seem to keep from posting spam and unnecessary blather. Thus, threads end up off topic and often times locked. Other times, threads are simply posted in the wrong section (such as this one). After the thread is reported or discovered by a mod, if it is salvageable, it's moved. If not, it is locked and the original post is copied to the proper section for a new thread and the OP is linked via PM.

    The point is, there's a slew of reasons why a thread may be locked and many times the answer is not on the surface.

    /Locked. Just kidding.

    Quote Originally Posted by WowZrBowser View Post
    Ive seen them lock threads on many occasions for no reason.
    When I brought it up with one of the staff members they told me I was the only one who thought that way lol
    "on many occasions for no reason"?

    Care to link a few?

    Just locked this - https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bit...invites-279391

    Anyone feel that should have been left open for "discussion"?
    Last edited by Skizo; 02-20-2008 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost



    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    The FST Last.fm group

  6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Sylar666's Avatar Kingpin BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    1,645
    Thanx for the honest answer, Skizo. I gotta agree with most of what You write here. I see way too many endless, pointless threads. I really appreciate what You Mods've been doing here - and don't take it as a brown nose.
    A malis vituperari laus est.

  7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    I don't want to be found.
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    I also didn't post that and then lock the thread. As noted, it was locked by KFlint, though not sure why; he'll need to respond to that point.
    Doesn't this kinda prove my point. The thread was locked whilst there were still people who wanted to comment on it. One of those people had the power to unlock the thread, post, and then lock it again. Unfortunately not all of us have that power.

    I also think that many threads that go off topic end up far more interesting and productive than they would have done otherwise.
    I can't understand locking threads that are still active with comments like 'this has run it's course' etc, the thread will only have run its' course when no-one else wants to post, something that won't happen when a thread is locked. Why not leave them unlocked to die a natural death?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar666 View Post
    Thanx for the honest answer, Skizo. I gotta agree with most of what You write here. I see way too many endless, pointless threads.
    What constitutes a pointless thread though? Who decides?
    Last edited by wheeloftime; 02-20-2008 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeloftime View Post
    Doesn't this kinda prove my point. The thread was locked whilst there were still people who wanted to comment on it. One of those people had the power to unlock the thread, post, and then lock it again. Unfortunately not all of us have that power.
    If mods post in a thread thats locked the post will through without the need to unlock it.
    As for why the thread was locked KLFlint will have to respond to that...

  9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    typeoholic's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    nonexistent
    Posts
    145
    I don't see the point in arguing with staff/mods. If you think they are abusing their powers, then report them to the site admin. And personally, I haven't seen one single staff member out of line here yet. I've been a moderator on a top site for 2+ years and dealing with childish actions isn't always as pleasant as most of you would like to think it is. Staff are not here to harass you; they are simply here to enforce the rules set by administration, to provide assistance wherever possible and to ensure everyone gets along peacefully. You can always try PMing that particular staff member and politely inquiring. Respect goes a long way on the internet, just as in the real world.

  10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,260
    why was it closed? Did you read the comment? It was closed because we all 'got the point' and I agree. The posts relating to the original post were going in circles, and the rest of the posts were unrelated, so it was closed. Why keep posting the same comments over and over, do you really think thats going to get your point across better?
    Ron Paul: Hope for America

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •