Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie here! have a few questions

ok, so i have an acct on giganews, and i just purchased newsbin

i searched newzleech for the .nzb's I want, now what? can someone give me a retard proof walkthru from here? I think I came a decent way on my own, but I sure could use some advice on how to use newsbin and everything else.

THanks,

-Z

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Have you downloaded a client yet?

If not, download Grabit. There is a tutorial here - https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-new...e-grabit-69159

Let us know if you have any troubles.

yo

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by zevfinder View Post
    ok, so i have an acct on giganews, and i just purchased newsbin

i searched newzleech for the .nzb's I want, now what? can someone give me a retard proof walkthru from here? I think I came a decent way on my own, but I sure could use some advice on how to use newsbin and everything else.

THanks,

-Z
    Since you already bought Newsbin you can forget about Grabit. Grabit is nice but I think Newsbin is more "proffesional"

http://help.newsbin.com/index.php/Main_Page

http://tutorials.newsbin.com/

There's a bunch of info here on setup etc.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Read that as "Newzbin" account.

yo

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    cool, thanks guys, im gonna give it a shot when i get home, do u have to open up any ports on a router or something?

i isntalled it quick here at work and i opened the nzb files and it says pending (for about 2 hours now)

how long does it usually take to download, etc

thanks for the help!

-Z

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    cool, thanks guys, im gonna give it a shot when i get home, do u have to open up any ports on a router or something?

i isntalled it quick here at work and i opened the nzb files and it says pending (for about 2 hours now)

how long does it usually take to download, etc

thanks for the help!

-Z
    Normally you don't have to open any ports but when you say "at work" you might get some trouble as everything not related to business is most likely blocked.

Check the log (I think it is a tab called "status") in newsbin. It should give an error message.

Edit: I think it says pending cause it might be paused (it's waiting for a connection to a server) but I don't remember. Long time ago since I used Newsbin.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Read that as "Newzbin" account.
    The one and only guy who got an invite
    Last edited by MultiForce; 02-20-2008 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    everythings working, the tutorial was great, was probably a firewall at work

k 2 more questions

is there a way to "subscribe" to a group so im notified evrerytime something new is uploaded?

also, is there a way to "request" stuff
    Last edited by zevfinder; 02-21-2008 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    everythings working, the tutorial was great, was probably a firewall at work

k 2 more questions

is there a way to "subscribe" to a group so im notified evrerytime something new is uploaded?

also, is there a way to "request" stuff
    You can set up newsbin to download new posts periodically but I don't think you can get it to check the news server for new posts and then download them auto.

I usually post something and request at the same time but you might want to check out #alt.binaries.tvseries, #alt.binaries.games etc. on EFnet. You can request stuff there.

Here's some lists of request and fills (and some more info):

http://www.alt-bin.com/index.php

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    awesome, thanks for all your help

one tinyyy last question, when I am looking through headers I sometimes see responses to posts, or something like that, how can I read them?

It doesnt let me download them for some reason -- they are usually under 10kb

i double click it and it goes straight to failed files

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    awesome, thanks for all your help

one tinyyy last question, when I am looking through headers I sometimes see responses to posts, or something like that, how can I read them?

It doesnt let me download them for some reason -- they are usually under 10kb

i double click it and it goes straight to failed files
    If you just want to read it without downloading you can right click the post and select read post body or whatever it is called.

I think you can get newsbin to download the posts as txt files too but I don't remember how.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast