Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chat request a possible scam tactic?

Tracker staff at work?

U2VjdGlvbjQ3

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    DarkLured's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM View Post
    yeah right.and he can also get your e-penis measure and scandalize you over the web.
    why all these extreme measures you are taking.it's like you gonna lose your life if you gonna chat with someone.
    You make me feel bad for terrorists instead of suicidal bombs they should only ask to chat with you and mission accomplished.
    if they just knew
    WTF? I was just wondering if there is any risk involved, jeez. I've seen threads warning that tracker admins sometimes try to get your IP address or other info so they can ban you for trading, and based on what supper said above, someone could get your ip address through chat. It's true I will not lose my life, but I'd prefer not to lose my account(s) for trading either, so I asked about the risks. What is wrong with that?

P.S. Your terrorist comment is retarded

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajor View Post
    Whatever happened to common sense & intuition?
    Actually, it was common sense and intuition that made me decide NOT to share my chat info with that person. Common sense and intuition are great, but so is knowledge, which is why I ask questions about stuff I don't know or understand well. Questioning the common sense or intuition of someone merely because that person seeks information is ludicrous and a little rude.
    Last edited by DarkLured; 02-20-2008 at 11:48 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    BANNED BT Rep: +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLured View Post
    WTF? I was just wondering if there is any risk involved, jeez. I've seen threads warning that tracker admins sometimes try to get your IP address or other info so they can ban you for trading, and based on what supper said above, someone could get you ip address through chat.
    Actually the staff can get ur ip in many ways not necessarily by chating with u on msn but they can get ur ip from ur singature or ur avatar there is many other ways i dont know about it .
    but u can do mistake and give ur msn to ... lets say hacker then u will be into troubles

all i know and all i can say dont accept files from ppl u dont trust dont click on links sent by random ppl use proxy in public forums like here and dont post in public or give ur msn to ppl u dont trust

and if u want to have avatar or signature then dont upload them by ur real ip also.

after u doing all of this u wont be safe 100% though u just trying to decreasing the chances u get hacked or some one have ur personal info.
    thats all i know.
    Last edited by supper; 02-21-2008 at 12:06 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    SAM's Avatar Fst philosopher BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    and your terrorist comment was retarded
    it meant to look like that for retards

For Serving Community

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM View Post
    and your terrorist comment was retarded
    it meant to look like that for retards
    I don't even know what that meant. I'm assuming you don't have full command of the english language, or that you're 8

P.S. Thanks for helpful responses so far.
    Last edited by DarkLured; 02-21-2008 at 12:07 AM. Reason: thanks

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    fazzy07's Avatar Something Something BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    DarkLured, you did over exaggerate the situation a little bit

Nothing wrong with that since this is internet and some people do take advantage and do wrong things

You could have seen the previous posts by the member and decided on your own

And yeah, if staff do want to come after you they have many other ways then just chatting

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by fazzy07 View Post
    DarkLured, you did over exaggerate the situation a little bit

Nothing wrong with that since this is internet and some people do take advantage and do wrong things

You could have seen the previous posts by the member and decided on your own

And yeah, if staff do want to come after you they have many other ways then just chatting
    Fazzy, I don't know what you mean when you say I "over exaggerated" the situation (btw: "over exaggerate" is redundant). I simply summarized our PM exchange for context and asked what risks there might be in giving out a chat name or initiating a chat session. I am relatively new here and nobody has asked me for my chat info before, so I was curious whether someone could use chat to get sensitive information, etc. Looking at my post now, I realize it might have been clearer had I titled it "CAN a chat request BE a possible scam tactic?" - but I wasn't accusing anyone of anything, I just wanted info.

And since you mention it, what are some of the other ways for staff to come after traders? I've checked out FAQs, etc., but more information can't hurt.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    SenorBubbz's Avatar /¨_¨°.-.§.-.°¨_¨\ BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I don't see any problem in sending him your email address if you play it smart when you talk to him.
    o hai

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    LubTheStaringCat's Avatar I'm curious BT Rep: +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65
    Personally I don't like MSN because I have been scammed 2 times using It.
    So It has got to the point I never use It now.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by forcus View Post
    Personally I don't like MSN because I have been scammed 2 times using It.
    So It has got to the point I never use It now.

how does msn change anything? its just instant chat vs email/pms

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast