Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a good seedbox

NekohDot's Avatar "Designer/Producer" BT Rep: +1
    I need a good seedbox preferably high bw and decent speeds.

I have a limit of £21-$40 and i need something thats easy to set up and use and also i have no experience with linux or anything like that.

Also when i do get one would anyone mind helping me set it up or whatever you have to do ?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    fatcat69's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by NekohDot View Post
    I need a good seedbox preferably high bw and decent speeds.

I have a limit of £21-$40 and i need something thats easy to set up and use and also i have no experience with linux or anything like that.

Also when i do get one would anyone mind helping me set it up or whatever you have to do ?
    Ill post ya a link in two seconds...

http://hosting-ie.com/content/view/27/64/

Those are in your price range, have unlimited bandwidth, and let you choose whichever operating system you want.

Go with windows server web edition.

Then it is just remote desktop, you use the ip addy they give you along with username and pass, and it brings up a desktop just like your home pc. you install utorrent and you are good to go.

Jonny has one of those and it destroys my vectoral dedicated server. Pm him if you want more info, i set his up for him and could help you set yours up too once you get it.
    Last edited by fatcat69; 02-23-2008 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Don't know if you know this but £21-$40 really means about $42-$40. A GBP runs a little over $2 a piece. You might want to re adjust your values.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Agree with fatcat for once

I'm going to get a Raptor 5 just so that I can stick Fedora on it and play around with it. Doesn't cost that much and I get a seedbox out of it

Anyone doing this currently (or done it) and can give their experiences on Linux on a VPS? Is it worth the shot?
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Wtf O_o

How are those so cheap? Is it because of the lame hardware?

Tempting..

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    have fun on hosting-ie's vps. I dont know if you have sct but there are pages of horror stories with them.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Meh, minimum 3 month's contract. LOL^^^^

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I signed up for hosting-ie last night and although it says 3 mo minimum it allowed me to pay for only 1 month as the default option on the order form.

As long as the traffic is unlimited and my upload is 2x or 3x better than the 225-235kB/s I get now that would make uploading a lot easier and faster.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    I think i'll sign to hosting-ie for 3 month...

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    fatcat69's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by Submission View Post
    have fun on hosting-ie's vps. I dont know if you have sct but there are pages of horror stories with them.
    Ya and they promote vectoral like its high king.

Vectoral is crap, lol outdated hardware. all their systems have IDE hard drives all the way up to the $150 a month range.

So, from someone who has more then one seedbox, has used seedboxes on every provider, and has used them not just for torrenting. I can tell you right now that hosting ie has 10x better bang for the buck.

You can ask Artemis, SgtMajor, and plenty of other...more experienced file sharing users...how good hosting ie is. I switched from vectoral, paying $107 a month for a 80gb IDE hd with 3tb bandwidth to a dual core with 2gb ram, 700GB of space, unlimited bandwidth (I easily do 7-10TB a month) and I pay less then I did for my vectoral.

So you can read fan boy all you want until you test it yourself and realize how crappy it is. All your reviews on ScT are from years ago...read the dates on the forums. Then there are a few from noobs who didnt know how to set up a seedbox and then cried wolf.

If it sucked so bad why would some of the most experienced users on the forum preach them so much and recommend them.

If you think they really suck, for those of us who use them for torrenting, the only thing that comes close to my set up is an OvH set up. Which I also have used in the past, yet this is cheaper and more bang for the buck...

The VPS is not meant for a 1 time buffering, most people who have seedboxes keep them as it keeps your personal IP out of the torrenting and you can download anything you want off your server when you want. At $40 a month it is cheaper for me to have a VPS instead of upgrading my home internet connection.

Here is a FAQ I have posted on a few sites....

Spoiler: Show

Enjoy.

Note the rankings are pulled from a site where there are about 30 or so users who are UPLOADERS to other sites. So if all the uploaders to your favorite sites agree with this, then obviously the crap about hosting ie/OvH is just junk generated by users who either just dont know how to use a box (ie...getting 256mb or ram and thinking they are going to do any seeding) or just people who got resold boxes back in the day when this company was just starting off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast