Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Seedbox Non owner and Owner FAQ

Poster
    From what I learned so far, you're probably better off going with a VPS.

Instead of downloading twice, you would download the torrent to your box, and than
    download the files to your computer. That way you're seeding from the box right away.

There's no need to download the torrent twice, doing this may actually raise red
    flags with some trackers, that you're sharing your account.

2. Guides and Tutorials   -   #22
    Quarter's Avatar aaaaasssssddddd BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by sam45 View Post

There's no need to download the torrent twice.
    So how can I download it to my comp and seed from my box too?

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."

3. Guides and Tutorials   -   #23
    this cleared a lot up for me, thanks.

4. Guides and Tutorials   -   #24
    BOOM's Avatar You are who you are. BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    hum..i was looking 4 an explanation like this one!!
    thx m8

5. Guides and Tutorials   -   #25
    Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    thanks mate for the tutorial.

6. Guides and Tutorials   -   #26
    sacebac's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    This will help me for sure when i buy one seedbox.......

Thanks for the tutorial.

7. Guides and Tutorials   -   #27
    chip19's Avatar a chip off ol' death BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sam45 View Post

There's no need to download the torrent twice.
    Basically, the seedbox is where you would download the torrent file, open it in your bittorrent client, and download the movie/whatever. When the download is complete, it would begin seeding. Also, once the download is done, you would be able to download it to your home PC for viewing (in the case of movie) or whatever. This download process can be done a variety of ways. The easiest of which is probably FTP. On the seedbox you would run an FTP server, like vsftpd, then on your home PC you would use a client like FileZilla to FTP into the seedbox (using its IP address) and download the file. You could also setup an HTTP server like Apache and enable directory-listing, then make your Downloads folder the www-root. If you go the Apache route, I recommend reading up on .htaccess files so you can setup a password for the directory listing, so random web users can't leech your files (and Google can't spider it).

For more on FTP, check this [external: Howtoforge].

Let me know if you have further questions. I don't have much experience with seedboxes yet (still in the process of getting my first one), but I have a home Linux server that I access from work a lot so I've downloaded/uploaded tons of things to it using FTP.
    Last edited by chip19; 03-27-2008 at 12:16 AM.

8. Guides and Tutorials   -   #28
    Quarter's Avatar aaaaasssssddddd BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by chip19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarter View Post
    Basically, the seedbox is where you would download the torrent file, open it in your bittorrent client, and download the movie/whatever. When the download is complete, it would begin seeding. Also, once the download is done, you would be able to download it to your home PC for viewing (in the case of movie) or whatever. This download process can be done a variety of ways. The easiest of which is probably FTP. On the seedbox you would run an FTP server, like vsftpd, then on your home PC you would use a client like FileZilla to FTP into the seedbox (using its IP address) and download the file. You could also setup an HTTP server like Apache and enable directory-listing, then make your Downloads folder the www-root. If you go the Apache route, I recommend reading up on .htaccess files so you can setup a password for the directory listing, so random web users can't leech your files (and Google can't spider it).

For more on FTP, check this [external: Howtoforge].

Let me know if you have further questions. I don't have much experience with seedboxes yet (still in the process of getting my first one), but I have a home Linux server that I access from work a lot so I've downloaded/uploaded tons of things to it using FTP.
    Wow. thank you very much!
    You helped me a lot and enriched my knowledge!
    So once again can any one recommend me a seedbox?
    can you recommend me which seed box is the best for me?
    I don't download a lot, biggest number I reached is 40 GB per month, so I don't think that 4TB traffic as you recomended is good for me. I'm looking for a cheap and good seedbox.

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."

9. Guides and Tutorials   -   #29
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Thanks for the info

10. Guides and Tutorials   -   #30
    nice guides ,fatcat. thank you.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast