Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

Thread: OVH Seedbox & Fedora

SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    There's reports of 5 OVH boxes (which were paid for before the freebies came in)being booted yesterday for running torrents, so I will hold back on any paid box for sure
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

2. BitTorrent   -   #72
    Dubstepper's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajor View Post
    There's reports of 5 OVH boxes (which were paid for before the freebies came in)being booted yesterday for running torrents, so I will hold back on any paid box for sure
    Hmm, is this definite? Or rumours?

I don't want to be running torrents and getting the hosting closed down lol
    Last edited by Dubstepper; 02-26-2008 at 05:55 AM.
    RevTT, SweDVDr, iTS, DB9, SCT
    Looking For: FTN, U*-*

3. BitTorrent   -   #73
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    These were paid for.

Let me explain, the two I know of are paid for 100 dedicated. I didn't even know there was a free offer until I seen this thread. The servers I know were just shutdown were also paid for. Ours was not touched and it appears some servers were comprimised is what got them looking into it. Again ours was not touched and everything is fine, just not seeding with them at the moment.
    How & what compromised means, I dunno, but don't be surprised if the freebies end up the same way.

They were after all, meant to be web hosting boxes with a free domain thrown in

So - remove root access, change port numbers, don't allow key auth access, that should prevent any snooping into what is on your box
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

4. BitTorrent   -   #74
    jam0980tr's Avatar jam cakes mmm Lovely
    SgtMajor thanks for the tips and i'll be well care full i'll give it few days before i start work on this new seedboxs

Dubstepper

remove root access change the port and the key, set it up like SgtMajor you be ok

and thanks for everyone for helping in this thread <3
    Last edited by jam0980tr; 02-26-2008 at 08:29 AM.
    Down-Speed Up-Speed
    Proud 2 Be a Member Of 0sec Tmp3

5. BitTorrent   -   #75
    Hrvoje's Avatar mr. nice guy BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30

So - remove root access, change port numbers, don't allow key auth access, that should prevent any snooping into what is on your box
    how can that be done in w2k3?
    thx
    Need FTN,FSC

6. BitTorrent   -   #76
    fatcat69's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Nix was defo the way to go, mine is now running sweet as a nut on Fedora, and in my short time I have:

Got VNC running in full screen, via vnc server & win client, with utorrent also in full screen, using webui & firefox on my PC to add & remove torrents.

Installed an FTP server (VSFTPD), changed the default port number of the server, changed the default location so that I go straight to my /home directory where the torrents are, and am now downloading at 20MB to my home PC with 12 connections via WSFTP_Pro.

Changed the default log in port of the server, removed root as a login (for security reasons), added a user to login with (learned how to Switch User) to do root stuff, remember to switch back to user.

Learned that nano is much better than vi as a text editor.

So a huge thanks to all who helped, and a massive special thanks to the guy who I was in PM with, I hope I can pass on anything I learned to anyone else needing help & assistance.

If you got a Kimi with windows, ask them to change to a unix box, and just do it
    Cough post a guide cough

Bc im setting up mine now.

7. BitTorrent   -   #77
    Bunny Hopper BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    Good site to have if you are using fedora: http://www.fedorafaq.org/

Choose your FC version on top, then go to "How do I install software for Fedora" and follow the instructions there to add 3rd parties repositories to yum. The extra repos have more softwares and usually are more updated.
    Last edited by naq; 02-26-2008 at 02:47 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #78
    fatcat69's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by naq View Post
    Good site to have if you are using fedora: http://www.fedorafaq.org/

Choose your FC version on top, then go to "How do I install software for Fedora" and follow the instructions there to add 3rd parties repositories to yum. The extra repos have more softwares and usually are more updated.
    Sweet.

Im still following all the steps you guys posted higher up in the thread...im at the point where Im adjusting window size in vnc.

So far making progress faster then I expected.

Nix was defo the way to go, mine is now running sweet as a nut on Fedora, and in my short time I have:

Got VNC running in full screen, via vnc server & win client, with utorrent also in full screen, using webui & firefox on my PC to add & remove torrents.

Installed an FTP server (VSFTPD), changed the default port number of the server, changed the default location so that I go straight to my /home directory where the torrents are, and am now downloading at 20MB to my home PC with 12 connections via WSFTP_Pro.

Changed the default log in port of the server, removed root as a login (for security reasons), added a user to login with (learned how to Switch User) to do root stuff, remember to switch back to user.
    K I did the edit of the file to fluxbox, restarted it, yet still cant change window sizes.

Is there special commands to use or what?
    Last edited by fatcat69; 02-26-2008 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. BitTorrent   -   #79
    jam0980tr's Avatar jam cakes mmm Lovely
    mine is up and running and all the security fixes are patched

FXP TO FXP speed
    [i] 100.0 Mbytes/12.25(s)/8,559.80Kbps
    [i] 100.0 Mbytes/14.55(s)/9,208.69Kbps
    [i] 100.0 Mbytes/12.72(s)/8,944.17Kbps
    [i] 100.0 Mbytes/14.05(s)/9,464.77Kbps
    [i] 195.4 Mbytes/13.95(s)/8,166.92Kbps
    Last edited by jam0980tr; 02-26-2008 at 06:27 PM.
    Down-Speed Up-Speed
    Proud 2 Be a Member Of 0sec Tmp3

10. BitTorrent   -   #80
    Bunny Hopper BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat69 View Post
    K I did the edit of the file to fluxbox, restarted it, yet still cant change window sizes.

Is there special commands to use or what?

There are no commands... When you restarted vncserver, do you see the taskbar on the bottom in vncviewer? If not, either fluxbox wasn't installed or you didn't properly edit the xstartup file.

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast