Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Thread: OVH Seedbox & Fedora

Dubstepper's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    I applied for mine earlier, im probably too late, but its worth a try.

Been looking for a decent one for a while, used to use one but it got closed down because of the high amount of bandwith lol.
    RevTT, SweDVDr, iTS, DB9, SCT
    Looking For: FTN, U*-*

2. BitTorrent   -   #52
    Bunny Hopper BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajor View Post
    Sorry - but what am I doing with nano - "a simple text editor", how does that help with window resizing in TightVNC.

I don't like doing things if I do not understand how they help me and what they do for me, I'm sure you are the same?

cheers,

I think you know the importance of a text editor in linux now, eh? Sorry if I wasn't being clear earlier, what I instructed was to modify the vncserver startup file to start fluxbox, which is a window manager that would allow you to have window resizing and all GUI and mouse clicking things you are familiar with.

3. BitTorrent   -   #53
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by naq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajor View Post
    Sorry - but what am I doing with nano - "a simple text editor", how does that help with window resizing in TightVNC.

I don't like doing things if I do not understand how they help me and what they do for me, I'm sure you are the same?

cheers,

I think you know the importance of a text editor in linux now, eh? Sorry if I wasn't being clear earlier, what I instructed was to modify the vncserver startup file to start fluxbox, which is a window manager that would allow you to have window resizing and all GUI and mouse clicking things you are familiar with.
    No worries, it's amazing how simple it is to give advice when you know what you are doing, sometimes it's much harder to receive that advice and understand what was meant
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

4. BitTorrent   -   #54
    I put it on par with a low level VPS - im running windows and the low ram makes it really unstable - so if peeps are toying with getting the kimi then nix is the way to go.

Going to have a play with some settings but plesk is screwing a whole manner of things of up :S

Speeds are good for a shared VPS - dodgy for a dedi but - it is unmetered, i am going to put a b/w monitor on it to see what times are best too for seedage

5. BitTorrent   -   #55
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Nix was defo the way to go, mine is now running sweet as a nut on Fedora, and in my short time I have:

Got VNC running in full screen, via vnc server & win client, with utorrent also in full screen, using webui & firefox on my PC to add & remove torrents.

Installed an FTP server (VSFTPD), changed the default port number of the server, changed the default location so that I go straight to my /home directory where the torrents are, and am now downloading at 20MB to my home PC with 12 connections via WSFTP_Pro.

Changed the default log in port of the server, removed root as a login (for security reasons), added a user to login with (learned how to Switch User) to do root stuff, remember to switch back to user.

Learned that nano is much better than vi as a text editor.

So a huge thanks to all who helped, and a massive special thanks to the guy who I was in PM with, I hope I can pass on anything I learned to anyone else needing help & assistance.

If you got a Kimi with windows, ask them to change to a unix box, and just do it

6. BitTorrent   -   #56
    Bunny Hopper BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    I don't think you need to disable root login. There are some things you can't do when you login to root through su.

Don't know if you've done this yet, I've read somewhere that ovh can login as root through ssh using an authorized key authentication (so without knowing your root password). There are two ways to stop this, first:

delete the authorized keys file:

rm /root/.ssh/authorized_keys2 (I'm not sure the filename is right, use autocomplete to make sure)

or second:

disable key authentication in /etc/ssh/sshd_config:

PubkeyAuthentication no

remember to restart sshd if you do this, and you can do both too.
    Last edited by naq; 02-25-2008 at 02:43 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #57
    Knowing how to disable root user (via that waffles guide) also means I can enable, so I will leave it until I come across a problem that needs fixing, thanks for the heads up though, means I might know what is wrong when I can't do something

It's only a basic box, and it was free, and one I am cutting my teeth with, so I hope to make as many mistakes as I can before I have to pay for a linux box.

And now off to disable key auth

8. BitTorrent   -   #58
    Wormtail's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90
    I got one too ! But i didnt received the details yet

9. BitTorrent   -   #59
    Dubstepper's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Just got mine as well, 12 months for free

They said "Done" to me on OVH forum, yesterday at 8PM, been 12 hours, and no email, how long should it take?

I got the windows 2003 web edition, that should run a seedbox fine shouldn't it?

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Wormtail View Post
    Same
    RevTT, SweDVDr, iTS, DB9, SCT
    Looking For: FTN, U*-*

10. BitTorrent   -   #60
    fatcat69's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubstepper View Post
    Just got mine as well, 12 months for free

They said "Done" to me on OVH forum, yesterday at 8PM, been 12 hours, and no email, how long should it take?

I got the windows 2003 web edition, that should run a seedbox fine shouldn't it?

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Wormtail View Post
    Same
    Well if Im reading right the box only has 256 ram....so thats a little slim for windows + utorrent...but part of their program lets you do as many reinstalls as you want...so i say test it...if it doesnt work...try linux.

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast