Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Operating System

Poster
    I have:

Windows XP Pro,
    Windows ME,
    RedHat Linux 9

installed on my computer. XP is definitely my favorite, and I use Linux for a few things. ME is buggy, and it would crash (BSOD) until I updated my sound drivers

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    WINXP Pro! Works the best for me!
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    I use two, for leisure and general use such as e-mail and web browsing, I use Windows XP Corp. While this is not my ideal OS even for leisure, it has a very usable interface, and has fantastic hardware support.

When working, I use Linux, custom built, not a distribution, using the 2.5 kernel series (they are very stable already, don&#39;t flame me if you disagree&#33, which is simply fantastic with my hardware.

While this is a sore point with linux users, the 2.5 kernels which will become the next stable release as 2.6, are indeed very stable. My system has yet to crash after months of heavy use and I update my kernel every two or three months.

Scott

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Nimdock@2 August 2003 - 04:21
    My avatar speaks for itself.
    Likewise

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by scott_hedrick@4 August 2003 - 12:42
    I use two, for leisure and general use such as e-mail and web browsing, I use Windows XP Corp. While this is not my ideal OS even for leisure, it has a very usable interface, and has fantastic hardware support.

When working, I use Linux, custom built, not a distribution, using the 2.5 kernel series (they are very stable already, don&#39;t flame me if you disagree&#33, which is simply fantastic with my hardware.

While this is a sore point with linux users, the 2.5 kernels which will become the next stable release as 2.6, are indeed very stable. My system has yet to crash after months of heavy use and I update my kernel every two or three months.

Scott
    If it hasnt crashed yet then It will pretty soon. Its bound to happen. That kernel is very buggy and is still in great need of additional development. But if thats what you want to do then I think its a great Idea, the more people that use the more it helps development of it and the faster we can stomp out the bugs.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    win xp it is very good easey to install and use

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    Mac OS X... You get the power of Unix combined with the best looking and most functioning GUI ever.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Windows XP.

Holy crap. reviving a 2 year old thread? LOL

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    Aaron_T's Avatar A duck is watching.
    Windows XP Pro, sampled them all and this tops out the rest
    Those who dont learn from the past are doomed to repeat It.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I like XP and Suse 9.3 Linux. Both have been my smoothest operating systems for both sides. Macintosh OSX Tiger would have to be my second favorite, because it has the lovely FinalCut Pro software. (GarageBand is also nice. I only like mac because of those two peices of software)
    My least favorites are Win98 and Redhat. I hate em both due to many nasty reason. Windows 98 runs as if your compter is sitting on top of an inner tube in the middle of the ocean. One slip and the bastard will never forgive you!
    Had to reinstall the crap 20 in my Win98 experience.
    Last edited by Wolfmight; 12-11-2005 at 12:56 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast