Thread: What Refresh Rate Should I Set My Monitor To?

Poster
    Hi y'all

I have a standard TFT LCD Flatscreen 15" (Think it is anyway) and I read a post the other day saying that you should set your Refresh rate to 72 Hertz to prevent eye strain...

So I turned it up to this and after an hour I started to get headachey and my eyes started to hurt, and I would usually be able to sit at least 2-3 hours without any problems so im here to ask...

What should I set my refresh rate to?

And what is everybody elses set to? (for comparison)

It can go up to 75 safely but fully i could crank it up to 200 but that might cause damage

<span style='color:blue'>Ladies and Gentlemen, John Frusciante</span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    75-85 is typical. you might kick it up to 90 or 100 if your eyes are still sore.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Forum Star
    I have read once that between 75 and 80 is most comfortable for your eyes.

It has something to do with the rate at which your brains can consume teh images.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I have problems at any hertz, my eyes hurt and i end up feeling sick.. godam Monitor

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    hey i have a sony 17 inch lcd flat panel monitor and in the options menu it has an option named gamma what does this do the options are gamma 1, gamma 2, gamma 3, gamma 4

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    It is a measure of the ratio of colour intensity to brightness.

TV pictures from US tend to have a higher colour intensity compared to those from Europe. I&#39;m not sure why, it may be something to do with the difference between NTSC and PAL. So there has to be a gamma adjustment when US shows are shown in Europe and vice versa.

Since the flat panel manufacturers have no way of knowing the source of images displayed on your monitor, they can&#39;t adjust it automatically, so you have a choice of settings.

It is almost like adjusting the colour setting up and the brightness down at the same time (or colour down and brightness up), but there are other subtleties involved where the colour content (or brightness) is at low or high extremes.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Higher refresh rates with CRTs equal less eye strain and better overall quality.

The real problem is that most people do not have the correct drivers for their monitor. Last week, I was super stoked when I found the drivers for my sony 21 inch FD Trinitron CRT, and could set the refresh rate to 100 hertz.

Dude, you have to get the drivers for your monitor. Do a google search for them, extract them to your desktop, then go to device manager and find your monitor and say: properties>update driver>advanced (I think), have disk, show explorer to the .inf file, and WALA instead of "PLUG AND PLAY" monitor, you will see in device manager "the name of your monitor&#33;"

Right now I am using my old computer and monitor, a 19 inch sony FD trinny, very nice at 120Hz at 1024X768...just moved down to 100Hz after reading the article I linked below...

Read about www.pcguide.com/ref/video/modesRefresh-c.html+%22the+higher+the+refresh+rate%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8]Refresh rates here[/url]

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    i just stick at 75Hz

i don&#39;t notice a difference any higher than that...and i don&#39;t want to put any more strain on my monitor than i need to

i find that increasing the resolution tends to ease any strain though

for some reason, changing from 1024x768 to 1152x864 has been great on my eyes
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@4 August 2003 - 06:35
    i just stick at 75Hz

i don&#39;t notice a difference any higher than that...and i don&#39;t want to put any more strain on my monitor than i need to

i find that increasing the resolution tends to ease any strain though

for some reason, changing from 1024x768 to 1152x864 has been great on my eyes
    I will try that now.

Edit: I like it. Thanks for the tip ol&#39; pal 3rd gen.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by adamp2p@4 August 2003 - 06:38
    I will try that now.

Edit: I like it. Thanks for the tip ol&#39; pal 3rd gen.
    np

it&#39;s also good if you ever use vnc or remote assistance...if both users have the same resolution, the one who is viewing will have to scroll about to see the full screen

however, if you have your resolution up a little higher when viewing then you don&#39;t need to scroll at all
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>